Ficus Philippinensis March 2019-

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I saw someone asking for advice for their Ficus Philppinensis and I was going to direct them to my thread with mine when I realized I've never posted it. So I thought I'd take a little time to go ahead and do so. I bought it in March of 2019. It is a relative of a benjamin, and they don't like to be completely defoliated, I made a rookie mistake of doing so.
IMG_3656 (1).JPGIMG_3704.JPG

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
August 2019. At the base of the tree, you may notice I tried to get some small cuttings to take and fuse with the trunk. They did not make it.
IMG_4792.JPG

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
February 2021. I realized I couldn't style the tree the way I was with the right branch sticking up like it was so I cut a wedge and pulled it down with a guy wire.
IMG_7813.jpgIMG_7814.jpg

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I started my youtube channel after that and I keep forgetting to take any pictures since I have the videos. I do have a playlist for this one. I have since bought a second one because I haven't been able to get any cuttings to strike and I do like the species.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have had the newer one for about a year. I gave it a light prune in July 2022
Shotcut_00_02_08_150.jpgShotcut_00_10_00_350.jpg

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
What's with all the roots reaching out of the pot? I'm not familiar with this species. Great looking trees.
Thanks. The roots certainly are adventurous. I got that first tree and started working it right away. I’m trying to let this new one I got grow out a little more first. It had so many roots coming out it had attached itself to the pallet but I had to move everything out of the way of the roofing crew, so I had to remove most of them. My new roof is done now so I’m slowly getting everything back in place. I did manage to keep the one big root that I’ve got in the terra cotta pot. Trying to allow it to thicken the trunk more, when I go to repot I will try to graft some foliage on the root.
The roots only get like that after the tree has been in the same pot a while. It has been 4 years since I repotted the bigger one. I’ve clipped off a couple of them.
E6233F98-8104-4614-B477-C180BE4C29CF.jpeg

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The roof, soffit and facia work is done so I've been moving my trees back to their normal spots. I had a few trees that looked photogenic so I took some pictures.
IMG_0489.jpgIMG_0487.jpg

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
A little more aggressive than I would usually do this time of year but according to the new USDA zones that got everyone's panties in a bunch on the other thread I'm in Zone 10b now so I'm sure it will be fine.
IMG_1277.jpgIMG_1278.jpg

Top Bottom