Ficus pruning opinions

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wanted some opinions on pruning approach. I've been going with the cut back to 2 practice to push ramification. However now I'm unsure if I should keep on that path or just do a silhouette shape up. On the one hand shape pruning would be less stress since they are indoors and I'm constantly worried I'm going to come home and find it decided it didn't like it's living conditions and has dropped it's leaves. On the side of pruning back I'd get more branching but I'm thinking more about taper on the branches.

I feel like continuing to prune for ramification (back to twos) is the logical answer but I like the over all shape that has come about. I just don't want my own bias and what I 'see' to compromise the development and set me and the tree back. Fwiw my end goal so far is more of an umbrella canopy (exciting I know) with a little less height and a bit more width. The two pictures are more or less the front.

Attachments

• 20221201_105329.jpg
    20221201_105329.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 147
  • 20221201_105123.jpg
    20221201_105123.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 143

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My advice would be that right now the tree needs wire more than pruning.

The conservative approach would be to just let it grow out until next summer, and work on it then. But if you’re itching to work on it now, you could wire the primary branches into place and perhaps do a little pruning where you have too much length.

Personally I would try to compact the image significantly to focus on that nice interesting base. Have fun!

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you! Funny enough I had just started putting wire on. Figured I could do way less damage that way lol.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! For this particular tree, I’d try to bring down the lowest branches on each side to frame the trunk. Just my 2 cents.
Okay so... How bad would using some of the roots above the soil surface as guy wire anchor points be? Lol

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
As these ginseng ficus go, this is a really nice tree. Once the aerial roots gain some thickness it'll be very nice, I think.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think someone else already mentioned it, but I would wire the branches you have now to where you want them to go spreading laterally on the canopy first. Then start feeding it and watering it to let it thicken, let the wire bite some, if not the branches will move up when you remove the wire. Let it grow strong and give it a hard cut to around the size you have now plus a few inches. That will generate a ton of back budding from everywhere. With such a strong base, you need the trunk portion and main branches to thicken up as well so it doesn't look odd like every other ginseng, but more like a banyan.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think someone else already mentioned it, but I would wire the branches you have now to where you want them to go spreading laterally on the canopy first. Then start feeding it and watering it to let it thicken, let the wire bite some, if not the branches will move up when you remove the wire. Let it grow strong and give it a hard cut to around the size you have now plus a few inches. That will generate a ton of back budding from everywhere. With such a strong base, you need the trunk portion and main branches to thicken up as well so it doesn't look odd like every other ginseng, but more like a banyan.
Thanks. I put some wire on but I was worried about scarring. Now I have a better idea.

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I agree with everyone, I think its a super cool tree. To echo what someone else was saying, not sure if its possible but if there is a way to compress the tree to bring the canopy down towards the roots I think it would improve the silhouette. I made an awful "photoshop" of this thing but the little straight section of trunk kinda breaks the cool lines of the roots. Cool tree though, interested to see it progress.

1670010595367.png

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah personally I’d try to hide the straight neck with foliage.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Okay had a little bit of time to dig back into the tree. I've lowered everything down a bit more. I pulled back once I started seeing a little splitting at the shoulder base on the farthest back and tallest branch. There's a little bit of spaghetti wavy bending on that branch. I just figure it's safer to make a bigger cut like that when it's back outside and running on all cylinders. I don't hate the movement and if I decided to keep it I'd go back in and put some detail wiring to match it on the other branches. Anyway, lemme know what you think. I'm not quite low enough to fully hide the 'trunk' but I think it's getting there.

Attachments

• 20221205_194438.jpg
    20221205_194438.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 62

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I think it makes a world of difference! IMO looks way better now that the vertical section is hidden, doesn’t distract the eye. Gives you a good idea of what to work towards but it’s a great start

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quick update. After a suspenseful start my ficus' have all decided to continue living. Just wanted to share the new budding this guy is pushing out. It should be beneficial to the design. If anything a few buds may be too low but we'll wait and see before the culling begins.20230516_120819.jpgAlso sorry for the tip down angle. I was omw to work when I snapped it.

Top Bottom