Ficus religiosa cutting not growing...

Withmenumber1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi All,

I rooted and potted up this F religiosa cutting about two months ago, and started wiring it about a month ago. Although these trees grow really quickly (and my stock plant does this), I haven’t had any new leaves on this particular plant in a month even though it’s sending out tons of roots through the drainage hole. I can’t imagine it needs to be reported already. And I feel like I’m giving it enough light (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NNT3G7J/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_fab_zptDFbHDEJ2KT). The leaves are starting to turn yellow, some even have brown spots. Is this a watering issue? Nutrient deficiency (I’ve been fertilizing every two weeks)? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 1E6EFE41-3EF6-4E14-A0CF-361864363D7F.jpeg
    1E6EFE41-3EF6-4E14-A0CF-361864363D7F.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 3529CEAA-E04A-44CE-BD4C-400495FAD399.jpeg
    3529CEAA-E04A-44CE-BD4C-400495FAD399.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 42

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Mine isn’t fast growing at all. It grew 3 new leaves after repot a mont ago. Has it experienced cold? Enough light?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Religiosa does go through a long dormant period with very little top growth. It might not kick into gear until next spring. I have a large houseplant that took months to fill a new pot with roots and then exploded with growth in the spring. I have just had to learn to be patient with this species!

Withmenumber1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mine isn’t fast growing at all. It grew 3 new leaves after repot a mont ago. Has it experienced cold? Enough light?
It’s next to a window, so it’s been getting colder. But the thermometer I have near my plants has been holding steady at 70F, so I’m not sure...

I use the same light for my main F. religiosa plant and that one grows a new leaf every other day! I’ve had to prune it multiple times to keep it manageable 😅

Withmenumber1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Religiosa does go through a long dormant period with very little top growth. It might not kick into gear until next spring. I have a large houseplant that took months to fill a new pot with roots and then exploded with growth in the spring. I have just had to learn to be patient with this species!
Thanks! I hoped that was that was the case with respect to the growing tip. I’m still concerned about the yellowing leaves, since they’re not old enough to be turning because of age. Do you think that could be an over watering problem or nutrient deficiency? Should I prune off the bottom leaves?

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thanks! I hoped that was that was the case with respect to the growing tip. I’m still concerned about the yellowing leaves, since they’re not old enough to be turning because of age. Do you think that could be an over watering problem or nutrient deficiency? Should I prune off the bottom leaves?
I wouldn't. Old leaves are important for photosynthesis and they generate a lot of resource for new growth. Just leave things be. since roots are growing out of the pot, I don't think you watered too much. A sprinkle of organic fertilizer doesn't hurt but keep the amount small.
Where are you at? Adding location to your profile helps a ton.

Withmenumber1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I wouldn't. Old leaves are important for photosynthesis and they generate a lot of resource for new growth. Just leave things be. since roots are growing out of the pot, I don't think you watered too much. A sprinkle of organic fertilizer doesn't hurt but keep the amount small.
Where are you at? Adding location to your profile helps a ton.
Thanks! I’m in North Carolina. I keep this indoors, of course. Even in the summer, my balcony doesn’t get much sun, so it’s better off inside under a grow light I think.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It’s next to a window, so it’s been getting colder. But the thermometer I have near my plants has been holding steady at 70F, so I’m not sure...

I use the same light for my main F. religiosa plant and that one grows a new leaf every other day! I’ve had to prune it multiple times to keep it manageable 😅

(1) Tropicals don't experience the same dramatic temperature swings that deciduous trees do. Winter dormancy is often triggered by photoperiod - as the days get shorter the tree slows down. I don't know how much your tree depends on your artificial versus natural lighting, but it may be a factor.

(2) Bud development is triggered by the balance of auxins and cytokinins. In a very simplified way, think of the first as primarily coming from leaves and the second as primarily coming from roots. As long as your tree has lots of leaves and comparatively few roots, the tree will prioritize root development. The roots coming out of the bottom of the pot look healthy... but I wonder about the root mass in general - and whether the tree feels that the roots are adequate in order to shift resources from root development to foliage development(?)

Withmenumber1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Update: patience is starting to pay off. The growing tip is putting out a little leaf! I’ll post a picture once the leaf is unfurled (don’t wanna jinx it haha)

Top Bottom