Ficus Religiosa seedling

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I don't know why this happens but maybe someone can shed some light. I planted a few seedlings and all were perfect and healthy but small,
A month or two old. But now, 2 of them just absolutely wilted and shrunk into nothing. One day absolutely perfect and the next day shriveled up. They leaves start to get real soft and literally shrink to nothin in the following days. This first picture is not even final stage of wilt. It will almost disappear. Second picture is of one of the healthy ones....

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8717.JPG
    IMG_8717.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 29

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Was there any sort of change in environment? Were they in high humidity and then taken out with no chance to adjust? Otherwise wet soil would be my guess if there was no environment change.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Was there any sort of change in environment? Were they in high humidity and then taken out with no chance to adjust? Otherwise wet soil would be my guess if there was no environment change.

Ryan, It been raining for days and a bit windy but its always humid here. This happened to me a few times with a month ago when I transplanted some into a soil-less medium. I lost a bunch. I have a really hard time getting these to germinate in "Bonsai Soil" I can only get them to germinate in regular potting mix or in a paper towel / tupperware container. I started off with like 30 and ended up with 5.. now 3....I wait for the soil to get fairly dry before I water them. I want to transplant them again into the bonsai soil now that they are bigger but im not confident they will make it.

Last year I grew a bunch and they were about 3 months old and the iguanas ate every single one. I was so pissed!

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think they are religiosas. I have 2 small plants from the Bodhi Tree Nursery, I think they are cutting grown and not from seed, but in any case, one of them had those same notched leaves at the bottom, and more typical leaves with tails at the top.
7-21-17.JPG

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I think they are religiosas. I have 2 small plants from the Bodhi Tree Nursery, I think they are cutting grown and not from seed, but in any case, one of them had those same notched leaves at the bottom, and more typical leaves with tails at the top.
View attachment 193353

Thats an awesome little tree!

Top Bottom