Ficus religiosa - Time to repot?

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have two little Ficus religiosas that I bought last summer. They're still in the same little pots they came in, in poor nursery soil. I want to get these little guys repotted as soon as I can.

They spent the winter in a homemade orchid case, so they never really went dormant, although they didn't grow much foliage-wise (they grew lots of roots out of their little pots though).

aprlate 003.JPG

I have two questions:
First, I just put them outside. Is it best to give them a few weeks outside before I repot to be sure they are actively growing?

And second, I will have to cut a lot of roots just to get them out of their pots (lots of roots out the drainage holes). Should I also prune the stems or can I leave them be since they are pretty small to begin with. I just want to get these growing and the trunks fattening up.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Get them accustomed to growing outdoors before you do anything. When they start pushing new growth again, trim the roots coming out of the drainage holes and loosen the rootballs. Get them into some nice free draining soil in bigger pots and let them grow wild. Don't prune the branches at all.

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, that's just what I wanted to know.

Top Bottom