Ficus retusa Bark Splitting

AlfeiaFleia

Seedling
Reaction score
I just got this Ficus retusa Bonsai from an online store, whilst i was watering the bonsai I saw that the bark on one leg was splitting open.
on another leg, it looked like the bark was falling off also.
I know the bark splitting is not good, i don’t know if the bark seemingly falling off is bad or normal. Is it possible to help the bonsai?
Should i return the tree? The leaves are green, no sigh of yellow or wilting.

Attachments

• 035521BC-F40A-4ADE-9474-F40F8DB738B9.jpeg
    035521BC-F40A-4ADE-9474-F40F8DB738B9.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 050D625D-2940-464C-8169-731AA73652B6.jpeg
    050D625D-2940-464C-8169-731AA73652B6.jpeg
    247.7 KB · Views: 61

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When I have seen that in the past, it means rot and sometimes a lot of it. Maybe contact the vendor and see what they would recommend for an exchange or refund. The rot will have to be cut away regardless. That will likely damage the esthetics of the plant.

It looks like it is healing (or trying to) so that is a good sign. Be sure to not over water it in the mean time. That will exacerbate the issue.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!!

Depending on the source of your tree, there is a chance that it could be a root graft, and sometimes if the graft is only partially successful, part of the roots can die back.

Any chance to see more of your tree?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I assume this is a "ginseng" ficus? They are ficus microcarpa (not retusa) that are grown from seed to achieve the bulbous form of roots natural to young trees of the species. Other ficus do something similar.

I was working on a ficus salicaria that had a similar problem the other day. I cut the base of the tree flat just below the root crown, removing the offending root and everything else. Examining the wood exposed by the flat cut, I found a pocket of rot the size of a fingertip, and scraped it all out before planting it back in its pot.

You may end up having to do the same, removing a large part of the "legs." No matter, though. People make some very nice ficus bonsai by doing the same procedure, for no particular reason at all.

AlfeiaFleia

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!!

Depending on the source of your tree, there is a chance that it could be a root graft, and sometimes if the graft is only partially successful, part of the roots can die back.

Any chance to see more of your tree?

Attachments

• 25846F55-49EC-4787-9B35-0DE4B0A0CCFA.jpeg
    25846F55-49EC-4787-9B35-0DE4B0A0CCFA.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 28
  • B40A12D8-3FBB-490A-9608-16E1A1957D9C.jpeg
    B40A12D8-3FBB-490A-9608-16E1A1957D9C.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 19
  • EC50D9C1-215B-46C4-957B-83421583E1B1.jpeg
    EC50D9C1-215B-46C4-957B-83421583E1B1.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 16
  • C17E4007-6BDD-4E0D-8D53-52C1516E9C3E.jpeg
    C17E4007-6BDD-4E0D-8D53-52C1516E9C3E.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 1E25EAEE-AD24-4D5A-9B91-A50585726422.jpeg
    1E25EAEE-AD24-4D5A-9B91-A50585726422.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 18
  • E2B53A87-5D5E-4C3D-96C1-284BA5869B30.jpeg
    E2B53A87-5D5E-4C3D-96C1-284BA5869B30.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 27

AlfeiaFleia

Seedling
Reaction score
I assume this is a "ginseng" ficus? They are ficus microcarpa (not retusa) that are grown from seed to achieve the bulbous form of roots natural to young trees of the species. Other ficus do something similar.

I was working on a ficus salicaria that had a similar problem the other day. I cut the base of the tree flat just below the root crown, removing the offending root and everything else. Examining the wood exposed by the flat cut, I found a pocket of rot the size of a fingertip, and scraped it all out before planting it back in its pot.

You may end up having to do the same, removing a large part of the "legs." No matter, though. People make some very nice ficus bonsai by doing the same procedure, for no particular reason at all.
Thank you, I’ll try that!

AlfeiaFleia

Seedling
Reaction score
When I have seen that in the past, it means rot and sometimes a lot of it. Maybe contact the vendor and see what they would recommend for an exchange or refund. The rot will have to be cut away regardless. That will likely damage the esthetics of the plant.

It looks like it is healing (or trying to) so that is a good sign. Be sure to not over water it in the mean time. That will exacerbate the issue.
Thank you, I’ll try scraping off the rot. I have contacted them, I am waiting for their reply.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The foliage looks healthy but the soil looks really wet. Maybe let it dry out more between watering. Is it getting plenty of sun?

AlfeiaFleia

Seedling
Reaction score
It has been raining almost all day and yesterday, the sun is just starting to come out. The soil isn’t wet wet but it is damp. I am not trying to over water it because of the rot.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It has been raining almost all day and yesterday, the sun is just starting to come out. The soil isn’t wet wet but it is damp. I am not trying to over water it because of the rot.
I keep my ficus trees pretty wet but then again, they are in a full sun, 105° greenhouse. In the winter, I keep them a lot drier. They can take a lot of water but if that is the case, they need a ton of heat and sunlight too.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Does the ginsing root really easily? Given the amount of these trees in production, I expect growers toss a ginsing root in a pot, paste a microcarpa on top, wait a month and send it to retail.
I got one of these and I really like it, even if there are a billion of them.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Does the ginsing root really easily?

FWIW there is no such thing as a ginseng ficus. It is usually retail slang for Ficus microcarpa, though less commonly Ficus benjamina is used.

Take a F. microcarpa, grow it out in a small container so the roots swell, then lift the roots out while simultaneously chopping off the trunk. Then either graft a small branch on the top (most often) or wait for the roots to throw new growth.

If you took a normal F. microcarpa cutting, the roots grow like other ficus roots and do not swell. The swelling is artificial... and is just one other trick they use to sell ficus to the retail trade as something interesting. Remember the old braided ficus trees you used to see in Home Depot?

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
FWIW there is no such thing as a ginseng ficus. It is usually retail slang for Ficus microcarpa, though less commonly Ficus benjamina is used.

Take a F. microcarpa, grow it out in a small container so the roots swell, then lift the roots out while simultaneously chopping off the trunk. Then either graft a small branch on the top (most often) or wait for the roots to throw new growth.

If you took a normal F. microcarpa cutting, the roots grow like other ficus roots and do not swell. The swelling is artificial... and is just one other trick they use to sell ficus to the retail trade as something interesting. Remember the old braided ficus trees you used to see in Home Depot?
Wait. You are telling me the parachute-pants ficus plants are the normal roots?! I thought that was some sort of ginsing with ficus grafted on. You just blew my mind.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes those are the real roots... but they are what the roots look like if you grow a tree in a soup can and let it get 6' tall before you lop the trunk off.

"Ginseng" F. microcarpa

Ginseng-Ficus-Microcarpa-Bonsai.jpg

F. microcarpa in the wild

f-micro-in-wild.jpg

Or F. microcarpa bonsai...
f-micro-bonsai.jpg

FWIW... real ginseng is not a tree. It is a rather small plant. Granted, it has tuberous roots... but I doubt you could graft a ficus on it :) It would be akin to grafting a ficus on a potato. Wait a minute... did I just come up with a $1 million Home Depot idea? :)

ginseng.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom