Ficus retusa? Benjamina? Green Mound? Any case. Ficus.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4 weeks ago I was driving across mid-Germany and a ficus dropped in the back of my car. Driving a typical European car, the tree was pushed in, pot forward. And everything that stuck out in the back was chopped off. But.. For under 100E this was a decent enough deal to take the effort. Finally a new large ficus. Picture from ebay:

1634752061189.png

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looking forward to seeing what you do with this. Looks like microcarpa to me. Aka, retusa. I find the species to develop very quickly - my favorite ficus species. Nice find!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking forward to seeing what you do with this. Looks like microcarpa to me. Aka, retusa. I find the species to develop very quickly - my favorite ficus species. Nice find!
I think it is a retusa, with the 'green mound' variety grafted on it. I will let it recover over winter and in late spring probably remove all the grafted branches forcing it to leaf out from the trunk again. That is coarser, but in the end it will develop faster.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Yes, the trunk its regular Ficus microcarpa usually several young trees atached together and fused then grafted with "Ficus compacta" or other cultivar. "Ginseng" ficus also are produced the same, they strangle the roots to make that ugly bumps and graft the top

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4 weeks in, the plant seems to be happy enough with the abuse. It is pushing some airroots (Which, when I moved the tree inside, were covered with alu foil in an attempt to keep them growing in the dry air inside). Today:

ficus1.JPGficus2.JPG

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any updates on this?
B

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
lovely ficus. Been bit by the ficus bug myself recently.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just got this one from the local bonsai club meeting in Chicago last night.

Attachments

• ficus picture.jpg
    ficus picture.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 31

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update on your Ficus LB?

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ehm.. I know there sometimes is the impression one can do magic with plants, but asking for an update on a trunk chop within a week is very optimistic.
I have 1 bud showing on the trunk.
oooh did not pay attention to when you posted this Jelle. My apologies o_O

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Ehm.. I know there sometimes is the impression one can do magic with plants, but asking for an update on a trunk chop within a week is very optimistic.
I have 1 bud showing on the trunk.
I’ve been known for staring at my chopped trees as if I could will the buds to come out.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Surely your magic has worked by now!? any update?

Top Bottom