Ficus retusa hasn't put out new leaves this season.

Hanandokita

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So I have a retusa I think. It was from a ginseng that I chopped off the top and planted a few years ago. The first two years it grew fine. It snows in the winters so I keep it inside the house then. The house gets into the 40s, but it survives. I bring it out the rest of the year. It gets pretty humid and hot here in the summer and rainy season has begun. Pretty much tropical conditions. I actually have another that I left as is with the bulbous trunk that has been growing out fine since mid spring. I thought maybe it needed a repotting and did so over a month ago. I see new roots growing, but new leaves haven't come out. Also the leaves are a lot lighter in color compared to other.

Any ideas what can be wrong?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You interrupted the process with the repot. A watched pot never boils.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I retarded new growth on a Ficus Coincinna, lipstick fig, that I bought in the spring. It was almost dormant and had few leaves. I thought, what the heck, and re-potted it about 6 weeks ago with some other figs that were actively growing. All the others are doing fine but the lipstick fig just sits there with great big fat buds. Waiting. Considering sweating it with a bag on its head. Can't help myself, I keep watching it.
I think this supports what Forsoothe said in previous reply.

Hanandokita

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You interrupted the process with the repot. A watched pot never boils.
Probably, but I waited maybe a month and a half while the other tree was putting out new growth and another month has passed after the repot. I thought maybe something would have budded out by now giving that it's perfect weather for ficus. My ficus B. has new growth and I repotted that later than the retusa/microcarpa.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Once upon a time I allowed a Desert Rose to go bone dry in my greenhouse in mid-April just before I brought it out for the summer. It lost all its leaves and parked until about August 1st. You are being punished for interrupting the transition from quiescence to growth. Take it like a man. Next time, do major work on Figs in the heat of summer.

Hanandokita

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Once upon a time I allowed a Desert Rose to go bone dry in my greenhouse in mid-April just before I brought it out for the summer. It lost all its leaves and parked until about August 1st. You are being punished for interrupting the transition from quiescence to growth. Take it like a man. Next time, do major work on Figs in the heat of summer.
I get it and you are probably right, but it's been constantly warm for the last month. It's been pretty tropical. I've never had this issue before and I'm pretty used to it's growth pattern . That's why I'm asking. Otherwise I know patience is key. I guess I'll just wait it out. Sorry for wasting your time.

Top Bottom