Ficus Retusa Is In Bad Shape

delebit

Seedling
Reaction score
I received my first pre-bonsai a few weeks ago, and it had quite a bit of mold on it when I got it. I removed all the affected leaves and did a thorough soap/water spray treatment, and inspected the roots. I realized I've been overwatering it and the soil wasn't draining very well and I found some root rot, so I pruned the roots and repotted using Bonsai Supply Fast Draining Pre Blend. In hindsight, I'm sure this was way too much stress on the tree, but thankfully it seems to still be alive (I hope). The mold has continued to spread and I'm now wondering what to do next. Is there a fungicide I should use or should I just leave it alone for a while to let it recover? Prune? Here are some pictures of the tree, it's definitely not happy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20210308_141422.jpg
    20210308_141422.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 20210308_210218.jpg
    20210308_210218.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 20210307_165519.jpg
    20210307_165519.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 89

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's possibly just cold by that window.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

delebit

Seedling
Reaction score
It's possibly just cold by that window.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
Thanks! I'm in Southern California so I'm doubting it's the cold, although it has gotten down into the 40's at night. Worth a shot though, thanks!

jerzyjerzy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I does not look like mold, it is rather a bacterial infection from previously decaying roots. I would just leave it alone and let it recover. Since it has some new leaves it is alive, and some branches should continue to grow.
You will have to probably redesign it, though, but let it gain some strength first.

delebit

Seedling
Reaction score
I does not look like mold, it is rather a bacterial infection from previously decaying roots. I would just leave it alone and let it recover. Since it has some new leaves it is alive, and some branches should continue to grow.
You will have to probably redesign it, though, but let it gain some strength first.
Okay thanks so much, hopefully I removed them all, I was a bit timid given the state of the plant. What should I expect to see happen given it's an infection? Is it going to get worse before it gets better, and if so, when will I know it's recovered? Sorry for all the questions, I really appreciate it thanks again.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could be too hot!

How's watering?

I thought it was this thread but I was just telling another feller about how mine only got so naked after a winter with no water.

I feel like yours was in impossible soil before, possibly even damaging roots, which would give you this look of not enough water, cuz the roots are compromised, and too much water, because wet and soggy is not good without outdoor airflow.

I think you'll be ok now. Just water a lot more in your new soil, even more if you can put it outside.

It will live.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I keep mine outdoors year round. It's best to do work on the roots in the summer as it's when they're most active. Right now they are sort of dormant and you did work to it. I dought it will die but it will look weak for a bit. Maybe you could move it outside in the shade for a bit then bring it out into the sun once it starts to warm up here.

delebit

Seedling
Reaction score
Could be too hot!

How's watering?

I thought it was this thread but I was just telling another feller about how mine only got so naked after a winter with no water.

I feel like yours was in impossible soil before, possibly even damaging roots, which would give you this look of not enough water, cuz the roots are compromised, and too much water, because wet and soggy is not good without outdoor airflow.

I think you'll be ok now. Just water a lot more in your new soil, even more if you can put it outside.

It will live.

Sorce
I work from home so the AC's been on :) only during the day though and no it's not under a vent 😂. That makes sense. In the old soil I watered everyday for the first few days, assuming it needed it after shipping, and that was obviously a mistake given the soil. Wasn't sure how wet or dry it was supposed to feel at first either. This new soil is supposed to be really fast draining and it's drying out waaaay quicker than the last stuff so I've been watering every day. I assume it's also draining faster given the poor root condition.
I keep mine outdoors year round. It's best to do work on the roots in the summer as it's when they're most active. Right now they are sort of dormant and you did work to it. I dought it will die but it will look weak for a bit. Maybe you could move it outside in the shade for a bit then bring it out into the sun once it starts to warm up here.
Yeah that would definitely be ideal, I am also concerned about the combination of the current high winds, loose soil, and poor roots though. Don't have a lot of shelter to work with outside unfortunately. Hopefully in another month it'll be more established and I'll at least feel better about it.

Thanks again for the advice everybody I really appreciate it!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
AC's been on

What's that!? Lol!
That's it, probably just too dry and oddly cool.
No worries!

Will you be able to keep it outside from here out?

Sorce

delebit

Seedling
Reaction score
What's that!? Lol!
That's it, probably just too dry and oddly cool.
No worries!

Will you be able to keep it outside from here out?

Sorce
I'm a bit hesitant to keep it outside as it's pretty windy lately, not very many roots or shelter available, etc. and it's still in the 40's at night. You guys all think it's a good idea though so I guess I can give it a shot. At what point should I be concerned about it getting too cold then given it's a ficus? Thanks!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'm a bit hesitant to keep it outside as it's pretty windy lately, not very many roots or shelter available, etc. and it's still in the 40's at night. You guys all think it's a good idea though so I guess I can give it a shot. At what point should I be concerned about it getting too cold then given it's a ficus? Thanks!

I bring my Ficus in when temperatures drop below 50F. They theoretically can take a little colder, but I've never pushed it.

For the record, this is a microcarpa. Retusa is a whole different Ficus altogether.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you without having to index back & forth searching for if or where you declared where you live.

<<<<< It will show here.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
40's at night

I left mine out in a 30-31F night and it lived.

I reckon with the power of the warm day, it'll manage 40F ok.

Basically here, there is no getting used to 40F, it's just 10F the next week, there, they'll probably know it's the low.

Sorce

Ed_Inc

Yamadori
Reaction score
I recently learned the hard way that you should aim to repot a ficus when it's actively growing hard in the summer, not so much in the early spring, like other trees. However because you said the soil was in such a bad way, it was probably best you bit the bullet and repot it sooner.

I was advised by people here to supplement the natural daylight with a grow light to help the tree recover, and that really helped. I ended up leaving the grow light on from about 8am - 10:30pm. If you can get one easily, I'd recommend it.

In total it took about 3 weeks for my retusa to be happy again after repotting. It lost 80-90% of it's leaves, and one very small branch. But now it has fresh growth everywhere (and is in a bigger pot with great soil, ready for lots of growth).

Personally I think keeping it inside for now, but supplementing it with additional light would be the best bed, but then again there are much more knowledgable people here than myself! So try and be patient, maybe invest in a grow light if you can, and keep a close eye on it.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
My ficus leaves do that and get all distorted every winter....I think its because its a little too chilly in my basement....but it survives.

Ed_Inc

Yamadori
Reaction score
What is this? Is it a blemish on the plant...or possible scale? View attachment 360449

It's where an old leaf has fallen off and the stem has sealed itself. It does look similar to scale though! Scale is slightly more eliptical I've found. If in doubt have a little scratch with your nail, if it is scale it'll pop off, if it's a scar you'll see some green underneath. Better safe than sorry!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's where an old leaf has fallen off and the stem has sealed itself. It does look similar to scale though! Scale is slightly more eliptical I've found. If in doubt have a little scratch with your nail, if it is scale it'll pop off, if it's a scar you'll see some green underneath. Better safe than sorry!
Very much familiar with scale...the image on my phone is small...and was questionable. Glad it's not that.

delebit

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Sorry I've been quite busy, but I have some updates. Those black spots on the stem are from where I cut leaves yes. I put it outside a few days ago but haven't done much else since I posted besides watering of course. It seems to be doing well outside but I haven't noticed much of a change yet. The black spots seem to be gone, thanks everyone for the advice! The leaves still aren't too happy though as you can see, I'm guessing I have some sort of pest. What do you guys think? Also, at what point would the tree be healthy enough to start pruning and shaping? I am getting growth which is great! Don't want to rush things though. Sorry for the ugly location/position it's temporary 😂 it's there due to high winds and gets a good amount of sun. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20210330_181836.jpg
    20210330_181836.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210330_181853.jpg
    20210330_181853.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210330_181911.jpg
    20210330_181911.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 28
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Maybe let it grow till the middle of summer, then you might be able to do some wiring/pruning, but you would for sure want it to get more strength.

Top Bottom