Ficus Retusa w/ Spaghnum moss advice

Aven

Seed
Reaction score
I have been growing a f. Retusa for three years now and have had to remove some aerial roots due to reverse taper Ive wrapped spaghnum moss around the trunk anticipating some positive response and hopefully some lowere aerial roots. It's an RoR so the concept is to bring the aerial roots down to the base over time. My primary question is what is a preferred interval of time to apply the moss wrap? I've read so many different reviews that I'm now seeking your advice from experienced bonsainuts. :) thanks ill try and post pictures soon. [SPECIAL][/SPECIAL]

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Welcome!

To begin, please tell us where in the world you live, and amend your profile to say where as well. It will help immensely in giving you proper advice.

Aven

Seed
Reaction score
I live just outside denver. I grow everything inside. I'll get to updating my profile.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think this will depend on your environment. I've seen new air roots pop and lengthen dramatically in the matter of days when the heat and humidity are kept high enough. But to be on the safe side, I would give them a couple months to establish themselves. Since you are doing root over rock, you could also wait a few weeks and then do a slow reveal from the top.
It reminds me of a project I am planning on an old braided benjamina houseplant. I am planning on trying to hide the braid with a ton of air roots, but I'll probably wait until this spring when I put it outside before I wrap the trunk. I'll probably use sphagnum and Saran Wrap so that I can monitor the progress.

Top Bottom