Ficus root-over competition

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Update time.

This has essentially been neglected. I think the back mould make a much better front in the future.

I now have abut of direction on this.

I plan to cut the skin/bark of the trunk and bury with course inorganic soil to produce more roots around the base. Specifically around the current front. believe I will have to artificially produce taper this way too balance out any bulge from the crustal ball.

Its currently growing over a mass of rocks
i will separate the rocks and leave just the top one. Possibly removing all of the rocks, depending on how it looks at the time.

I also may possible cover the statue with cuttings/grow roots down and across it.

Hopefully next spring or the following I can place it in a shallow pot with some pumice/akadama and begin to refine it.

Ultimately i do not really care about this tree. It is a fun experimenting.

I welcome all feedback/suggestions.
20230327_153850.jpg20230327_154132.jpg20230327_154119.jpg20230327_154058.jpg20230327_154013.jpg20230327_154008.jpg

Last edited:

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update time.

This has essentially been neglected. I think the back mould make a much better front in the future.

I now have abut of direction on this.

I plan to cut the skin/bark of the trunk and bury with course inorganic soil to produce more roots around the base. Specifically around the current front. believe I will have to artificially produce taper this way too balance out any bulge from the crustal ball.

Its currently growing over a mass of rocks
i will separate the rocks and leave just the top one. Possibly removing all of the rocks, depending on how it looks at the time.

I also may possible cover the statue with cuttings/grow roots down and across it.

Hopefully next spring or the following I can place it in a shallow pot with some pumice/akadama and begin to refine it.

Ultimately i do not really care about this tree. It is a fun experimenting.

I welcome all feedback/suggestions.
View attachment 478675View attachment 478681View attachment 478682View attachment 478683View attachment 478684View attachment 478685
Who is that beast hiding in the background of the last picture? Would love to see that one up close.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Who is that beast hiding in the background of the last picture? Would love to see that one up close.

Top Bottom