Ficus root-over competition

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks! I was thinking of cutting ut right back to the lowest branch and making a new leader. Thoughts?
If it was mine, I'd probably wire it out and see what I could do with what's there now (and then make a decision on chopping).
But if you do decide to chop (which would allow you to build a much smaller tree in future), you should air layer that top off, looks to have some movement.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
If it was mine, I'd probably wire it out and see what I could do with what's there now (and then make a decision on chopping).
But if you do decide to chop (which would allow you to build a much smaller tree in future), you should air layer that top off, looks to have some movement.

Good point. I have found with these i do not have to air layer. I have had 100% success with just cutting and planting straight into soil.

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Crap hornbeam over crappier rock. Sad, I know, but basically given to me by a fellow club member who was completely fed up.

I think the crossing roots (not addressed early on) and his adding cement to try to fill gaps between roots and rock (and failing badly) were the last straws for him. This effort stained both rock and roots and further degraded the composition.

Not sure if I'll pull it off rock and plant deeper next re-pot, or if I will seek out another rock that better accommodates the root growth (like one with a big, deep crevice).

IMG_1058.JPG

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Crap hornbeam over crappier rock. Sad, I know, but basically given to me by a fellow club member who was completely fed up.

I think the crossing roots (not addressed early on) and his adding cement to try to fill gaps between roots and rock (and failing badly) were the last straws for him. This effort stained both rock and roots and further degraded the composition.

Not sure if I'll pull it off rock and plant deeper next re-pot, or if I will seek out another rock that better accommodates the root growth (like one with a big, deep crevice).

View attachment 152297
Phew.....Sheesh.............Yup......................
If the canopy and branches are worth keeping, I'd agree with you about planting it deep, and I'd make incisions and use some rooting hormone powder for ground layering.

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Decided to resurface and post an updated pic of my Green Island . I pruned it right before the growing season and it is making good progress. Next year it will get a proper pot .
Ohh Wow! Uploading pics has gotten smoother in my absence! Bravo!

Attachments

• 20170712_190327.jpg
    20170712_190327.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 78
  • 20170712_190241.jpg
    20170712_190241.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 76

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
A bit of a update, nothing exciting.

I have decided that i want to try and create a more tapered look to this tree. Whilst keeping the statue/crystal semi exposed for obvious reasons.

Incredibly realistic image of what i envision.

20171002_140049.jpg

I repotted, wrapped the roots and filled with dirt to promote more roots to grow and create some taper.

20171002_133642.jpg 20171002_134024.jpg 20171002_134816.jpg

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Im not sure if i will bury the roots or not but for now i will probably leave them.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Slight update i decided to sit this on top of some rocks that i found and have the roots growing over them aswell. This was very improptue, i glued the rocks together vith pva glue and wrapped it all together with the glue still wet. I understand this is terrible planning and a poor glue choice but i can easily fix it later. Who knows i may add more layers in the future.20180227_194235.jpg20180227_194221.jpg

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good point, the idea in my head would be more about the journey. I have just started a couple with some ficus growing over statues and crystals.
Hello,
I'm playing around with ROR designs, and am curious how any/all of the plantings made out. Statues? Crystals?
Feel free to reply or send a PM
Thanks

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Update.

Full defoliation, cut off u wanted branches and a little wire. Thoughts and advice welcome?

20181212_155056.jpg20181212_161308.jpg20181212_172435.jpg

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
why don't you thread graft a seedling over the middle of the ball??
Your branches are thickening nicely - looking good.

Top Bottom