Ficus root over statue.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Update

After the last update I needed the pot it was in for another tree. So I placed this ficus in a shitty container with no drainage holes the tree was severely neglected and placed in the shade for a few years.

A few weeks ago I chopped it back

Today I repotted this ROR ficus in 100% scoria and topped with rooster booster/dynamic lifter.

I was out of pumice/akadama so figured I'd experiment with the scoria.

Has anybody grown ficus in 100% scoria/red lava rock?20221104_140543.jpg20221104_140600.jpgScreenshot_20221104_141333.jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Has anybody grown ficus in 100% scoria/red lava rock?
I have one in red lava now, a basic benjamina. I wanted to see what the lava did to the root tubers benjamina often develop. It's only been this season, so too soon to tell, but the tree has grown almost 4 times it's original size.
I also have one in a basket with some generic "bonsai soil" that's really just coarse sand.
Come next summer I'll be able to let you know how it went.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
I have one in red lava now, a basic benjamina. I wanted to see what the lava did to the root tubers benjamina often develop. It's only been this season, so too soon to tell, but the tree has grown almost 4 times it's original size.
I also have one in a basket with some generic "bonsai soil" that's really just coarse sand.
Come next summer I'll be able to let you know how it went.
Awesome I look forward to it.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

Ive never tried pure lava rock but my understanding is that it doesnt hold water well.
Ficus usually like moisture and tons of water so I would not place it under full sun except if its watered a couple time a day.
That is again theorical, more experienced members will chime in soon.

As for the cuts I would stop cutting if you want to get more mass, you have to let the secondary branching develop.

Cool project, I really like the placement with the statue!!

Have fun!
Ugo

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi!

Ive never tried pure lava rock but my understanding is that it doesnt hold water well.
Ficus usually like moisture and tons of water so I would not place it under full sun except if its watered a couple time a day.
That is again theorical, more experienced members will chime in soon.

As for the cuts I would stop cutting if you want to get more mass, you have to let the secondary branching develop.

Cool project, I really like the placement with the statue!!

Have fun!
Ugo
I'm not really after more mass. Am lucky that I can water multiple times a day. I am going to place a humidity tray underneath it also.

Top Bottom