Ficus salicaria group

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is a willow leaf ficus group I started from cuttings around 2004. I recently defoliated it to do some wiring. The smallest tree on the right is a little worrisome to me. I think the trunk needs to come up a bit and simulate the movement of the other trees. Comments, questions, criticism and suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Best,
Kirk

5999809999_e985bed327_z.jpg

Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
What a hideous group. To save you the embarrassment of having it in your collection, I'll let you ship it to me so I can keep it among my ugly trees.

Kidding, of course. I think it's beautiful. I just love the bark on these when they start ageing. I agree on that small tree, I would wire it or do something with it to make it match the others.

GerhardG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi Kirk

Very nice, just a little tweak away from perfection!
Are the last 2 tree a twintrunk single tree?
To my eye the last trunk needs to be moved a tiny bit to the right and then some movement wired in if possible.

Great anyway!:D

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks guys.

Ryan- I'll be more than happy to give you the trees. But, due to my very detailed and careful packing, shipping will cost several hundred $. :)

All of the trees are single trunk. The smallest tree to the right is in front of the other. In the 2-D photo, it makes the bases look connected. I'll be wiring it up to take care of that rainbow arch.

Best,
Kirk

Last edited:

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks, Dave. I'll bring it to the study group if you will be there. Hope you are doing well.

Kirk

Reaction score
so, Kirk... what did you end up finally deciding to do??? I know if the small trunk was removed, it would cross the Fung Shui line of not having an odd ammount of trunks... but I can't help thinking it would look better perhaps without it ??? Hummmm.... or perhaps moved to the left side of the planting... just my two cents...

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
so, Kirk... what did you end up finally deciding to do??? I know if the small trunk was removed, it would cross the Fung Shui line of not having an odd ammount of trunks... but I can't help thinking it would look better perhaps without it ??? Hummmm.... or perhaps moved to the left side of the planting... just my two cents...

I haven't done anything to it yet. It's been so africa-hot and the mosquitoes have been so bad, I run out to water and dash back in. I'm sure I've contracted West Nile. Fortunately, I drink enough tonic to ward off malaria.

All options are on the table at this point. Erik Wigert liked it when he saw it a few weeks ago. His only suggestion was to reduce a little height and pull up the apex on the 2 smaller trees- which I did before taking the photo above. He thought it was a graceful little group.

I'm thinking, in the short run, of pulling the smallest tree up towards the rest of the group and adding a little movement to the trunk. I'll do that in the next day or so and post another shot.

Thanks for taking a look and offering some suggestions.

Kirk

Reaction score
tweaked your pic in photoshop, adjusted the angle of the small trunk, removed it's lower branch...
also, I in the pic I changed the top leader you had, to make the trunk to the left of it the new leader.
Erik has a good eye, and I happen to agree with him... very nice group planting, very forest like. perhaps down the line one might consider a rock slab in place of a pot ???

Top Bottom