Ficus salicaria

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Tried to sell this back in the spring when my truck needed new control arms and struts. No one bit, so I decided to keep it and charged the parts to credit. It's obviously old, and obviously was neglected. Think these first photo's were maybe sometime after March, I don't remember. And the third photo was after potting it and selecting branches. The fourth photo is after the first wiring, and was taken sometime in May. The last photo was taken in June, it's currently in full leaf just trucking along through this 80°F Winter of ours, just trimming it from time to time until Spring.

Attachments

• Untitled image (9).jpg
    Untitled image (9).jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Untitled image (10).jpg
    Untitled image (10).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 175
  • Untitled image (11).jpg
    Untitled image (11).jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Untitled image (7).jpg
    Untitled image (7).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 183
  • Untitled image (8).jpg
    Untitled image (8).jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 191

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice lil space fatty..

Are you gonna ditch that heavy branch up top?

Sorce

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice lil space fatty..

Are you gonna ditch that heavy branch up top?

Sorce

In the spring time when I can get reliable backbudding on the nub, yes. Right now, it will most likely bud back, but no need to rush.

Reaction score
I like it a lot! I am not sure I would cut back on the heavier branching up top to much. Perhaps, instead allow some of the lower branching to thicken up? Often just letting a secondary or finer branch run free for a growing season or two off the ends will do the trick.

Not sure why it didn't sell... I personally never saw it listed.

SGF

Seedling
Reaction score
I like it a lot as well. Somehow I missed it when you had it for sale. Must have been busy at work.
Thanks for posting pictures, looking forward to see it again in the future. (would look great in my office window!)

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Super cool!

Base swelled nicely AND stayed within proportion to the rest of the tree! Good character as well.
Maybe reduce the branching a bit? Lots there, thats for sure......

Ummm....how should I put this.....what's the "backside" look like?

Hehehee....nice tree....

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like it a lot! I am not sure I would cut back on the heavier branching up top to much. Perhaps, instead allow some of the lower branching to thicken up? Often just letting a secondary or finer branch run free for a growing season or two off the ends will do the trick.

Not sure why it didn't sell... I personally never saw it listed.

the lower branches will still be thickened, the first wiring was the first styling, so we are years away from finished.
two reasons, that i'm going to cut back to a nub: 1, for taper, and 2, the division into two branches will lessen the visual weight of the nub.
keeping that upper branch pruned back will also slow it from thickening while the lower branches catch up.

the backside of the tree looks good. there is a scar from the first chop, but i'm working to heal it, and regardless, it is hidden by foliage.
the nebari on the backside could be improved, and that is why it went into a bulb pan instead of a pot.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
my control arms and struts cost me about $550 with parts and labor.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the nebari on the backside could be improved, and that is why it went into a bulb pan instead of a pot.

Could you please explain this?

Sorce

Top Bottom