Ficus salicaria

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hey all, thought I'd post up my new willow leaf ficus and have a place for updates.
It's only a little tree but has enough to work with. It's probably too late to repot it or defoliate it so I just gave it a light trim and style. I can be more selective next year when the temps warm up but I think the general idea is there.

As it came.

IMG_96748d.jpg

And after a trim and wire.
IMG_9678df.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ya know, I was going to suggest you wire down some branches. Exactly like the last frame. I would also suggest you tip prune the primaries now to bring on back-buds for the next active growing period.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Probably not a bad idea to tip prune, it does look as if it was recently hedged but I can find a couple to tip prune so will do that this evening.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hedging is what you do as an interim step on the way to final appearance editing. I hate little twig edges left outboard of the last set of leaves and never leave them. To each, their own.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I imagine this was probably hedged it's whole life so there are options when someone buys it, it was probably recently hedged as a tidy up prior to them listing it. I cleaned out most of the redundant bits but will wait for next year to do a full defoliation when I repot it and take back a bit of control.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alre
Hey all, thought I'd post up my new willow leaf ficus and have a place for updates.
It's only a little tree but has enough to work with. It's probably too late to repot it or defoliate it so I just gave it a light trim and style. I can be more selective next year when the temps warm up but I think the general idea is there.

As it came.

View attachment 339240

And after a trim and wire.
View attachment 339241
already looking far better than when it was purchased. Such a cute little tree.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
May I ask where you purchased it from?
Nice little tree!

Top Bottom