Ficus species advice

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about adding a ficus to my collection (probably something not yet in training, but close). I have been looking around, and went to a conservatory in the area to check out some cool varieties of ficus trees in different styles.

Here's what i'm down to as for options:
Narrow leaf fig
weeping fig
Morton Bay fig

I have a few questions that i can't seem to find the answers to.

1) I like the weeping fig the most - I love how the leaves look. I see from searching on the internet that people do use these for bonsai - but i've also read their slightly finicky. A couple concerns: How hard can I cut a weeping fig back? I read that they sometimes don't like reduction. How readily will they produce aerial roots?

2) about the Morton bay fig, do people actually get them to flower? That could be extremely cool.

The willow fig would be my second choice - but i have an actual willow with similar leaves, and would rather have variety in my plants.

Advice is welcome - I do want a plant that is easiest to work with, and would prefer a fast growing species (my other plants are all incredibly slow growing) - if the weeping fig is just going to be a huge pain, i will find another.

Additionally - if anyone knows someone (or an online seller) that will ship rooted cuttings of any of these species that would be nice. I know Ficus are easy to root - and if someone has a surplus i'd rather take that than some sketchy online store (plus it's cheaper).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Weeping fig (aka Benjamina) does not backbud very easily. As such, most people advise to cut it back to green (not bare wood). However, some have had success in hard cut backs to bare wood (Giga and michaelj come to mind). I cut mine back fairly hard, but new buds have been sparse. All I've gotten is weed-like growth on the existing branches.

See these threads:
http://www.bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/my-big-benjamina.19897/
http://www.bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/box-store-ficus-chop-advice.19856/
http://www.bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/large-ficus-score-need-help-with-id.17738/

They won't throw out aerial roots unless you have a humid environment and have it appropriately established. See this thread: http://www.bonsainut.com/index.php?...al-roots-on-variegated-ficus-benjamina.19867/

Benjamina's are incredibly fast growers, especially compared to most other bonsai I've worked with.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Thanks for the info! I will check out those threads.

I may want a ficus that back buds more easily - which is what i was afraid of with the Weeping figs. Also, I will have a humid environment - it's stupidly humid here in summer, and in winter I will have a terrarium set up and lights for it.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've trunk chopped a benjamina with good success this was a few months ago and ita already got good lower anchor thickening I'll try to post a pic later. Of all ficus I love the benjamina most.

Attachments

• 20150625_071522.jpg
    20150625_071522.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 51
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Did you chop it down where there was no green left?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
When you think of flowering, it's not a typical flower like you think it is. Figs don't do that. Flowering in figs is just the fruit, the flower is inside of it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Ryan - I realized that after i attempted to Google "ficus flowers" and nothing came up... Not a huge selling point for me anyway, i was just wondering. At this point it looks like i'm leaning towards the Benjamina - even though it responds less well to pruning than the others, i just like the way they look the best - and they are more available it looks like. Do you have experience with them?

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Saying Benjamina doesn't back is a false statement. They just need to be very healthy and growing strong, then when you cut back it it'll backbud. Willow leaf are the strongest and grow like chia pets but they're a little harder to find. Could also order online from like wigerts or something. I got a few buttonwood from them for cheap.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
This is just my opinion, of course, but F. benjamina is also the dullest and most generic of all the figs. It could be ANY tree -- plain leaves, plain gray bark, plain looking overall. Indoor shopping malls are filled with them, so be sure to put a GAP sign in the pot with your bonsai.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Ha jkl, that's how i feel about all ficus really. But the Banyan style makes them more interesting - and since i have a large glass enclosure, i'm sure i can make the thing form aerial roots easily.

What species would you suggest? I thought the Benjamina was more interesting because of the leaf droop.

Giga, that's good to know. I don't have a whole lot of experience, so i wouldn't want to cut back too much anyway - just in case. However, i will want to have the tree be 8-10 inches tall, so i'll be growing the trunk for a while.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
so, which is the best fig for banyan? A question I have been having... Banghalensis maybe??
Obviously i'm not an expert - because I was asking similar questions here - but i've been reading the Ficus microcarpa "Chinese Banyan" is good because it is one of the more forgiving species. More likely to keep it happy so it forms those aerial roots. But again, that's just what i've been reading on the internet, I would let someone more experienced chime in.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here's my little guy this morning and a couple more of my variegated benjaminas with my tiger bark being camera shy lol

Attachments

• 20150806_075637.jpg
    20150806_075637.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20150806_075823.jpg
    20150806_075823.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 31

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You just have to be careful with benjamina. They have long internodes and the leaves don't reduce all that well.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You just have to be careful with benjamina. They have long internodes and the leaves don't reduce all that well.
Ryan, do you have any banyan style ficus? What would you recomend to use?
Are they made with one tree or a bunch of them?

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Ryan, do you have any banyan style ficus? What would you recomend to use?
Are they made with one tree or a bunch of them?

Mine is gonna be a banyan and it's a benjamina. Most any ficus species will work-whether it's a single trunk or many trunks fused, like mine. Just research the finites of each variety and work from there.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
What species reduce more easily? I definitely don't want to fight it to look in proportion. I may just make the tree bigger if that happens.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Perhaps you should expand your horizons by looking a other tropicals. Look at this vendor for many ideas. They have been great for me as I have dealt with them over the years with great success. And they are very responsive to email questions. Also ensure you can care for it during your long winter.

Top Bottom