Ficus styling, urban yamadori

diegazo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9 a
I found this 5 foot ficus tree in the trash last year. I re potted it. I should have left it in a bigger pot, maybe I should put it in a bigger pot for branch development. Any ideas on what to do with it. the top half of the trunk is dead wood. Any ideas?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I found this 5 foot ficus tree in the trash last year. I re potted it. I should have left it in a bigger pot, maybe I should put it in a bigger pot for branch development. Any ideas on what to do with it. the top half of the trunk is dead wood. Any ideas?

Gotta log into a site to view. Boo Hiss

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You need to carefully barber down to a shape that eliminates the dead wood. The sooner, the easier, while the existing growth can still be pushed out of the way and/or will regrow if you nick it.

diegazo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9 a
You need to carefully barber down to a shape that eliminates the dead wood. The sooner, the easier, while the existing growth can still be pushed out of the way and/or will regrow if you nick it.
thanks, should I re pot it in a bigger pot for quicker development?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
thanks, should I re pot it in a bigger pot for quicker development?
Yes, and full sun, with a saucer that keeps the pot wet all day for a month. Feed every week with Miracle Grow or any commercial liquid at label strength. And stand back, you don't want to block out its sun or it may whack you!

Top Bottom