Ficus techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
Thought I would do a little study on ficus root bases. I mentioned before I have seen some nabari that seemed a little over the top. Still took a great deal of time but this was the goal so you have to honor that.

[EDIT This thread contains about 95% garbage, so I am going to ruthlessly delete the junk (stuff that has nothing to do with bonsai and revolves around personal arguing). I don't have enough time to edit every bad post. - BonsaiNut [/EDIT]

Attachments

• Roots02_1_.jpg
    Roots02_1_.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 232

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well it is interesting... but is it bonsai? :) To me it is a hairs-breadth away from braided trunks and golf balls. It certainly doesn't give me a sense of harmony with nature.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe the end goal with the nebari shoiwn above is fused roots, leading to a dinner plate nebari. The braids will assure fusing instead of roots pushing other roots away, perhaps decreasing the time needed to obtain such?

Will

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
The big picture first. I have noticed over the years ficus tend to grow a rather large out of scale root systems in some cases. Roots blow up like potatos or carrots as tree progresses sending the complete composition of tree out of scale. We get great trunks and branches with a half dozen spoke roots that just get too big if not managed correctly. Now upon seeing this technique used in the West it gives me an idea. I was getting close to a dramatic multi rooted nebari with large nerifolia cutting propagation but still nothing like the West look. With a little help from my friends I was shown their system. The same day I grabbed 20 or so young plants of mine and did the necessary modifications. Now hopefully, I will have the problem of too many spoke radial surface roots to work with. Will I braid them? I could but I don't think so. Will I save all 30-40 of them? I don't think so, looks like a mop head. Will I save at least a dozen or more? That would be nice. Also, along higher quantity, I don,t think they will 'blow up' or potato on me like a normal root structure does.

Attachments

• neb13.jpg
    neb13.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Come clean with the "necessary modifications". I get these tater roots and don't know how to deal with them.

Bob

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that one of your trees KK, and are you paraphrasing your source or are you speaking first person? Sorry, you have e mentioned learning recently from a source on these roots and I am trying to figure out which is which...

Will

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
The ficus pictured is still in Thailand as it was last week and the week before as shown on Nebari Development as far as I know? [EDIT] General editing to clean up the thread and remove personal attacks - BonsaiNut [/EDIT]

Bob has 'tater' roots too? Help is on the way. Here is a pic of some my newly modified crop so as to avoid the 'tater' root syndrome. Sorry no pics.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Calling names, although common from you, serves no purpose except to incite. Can we have a discussion or not?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The ficus pictured is still in Thailand as it was last week and the week before as shown on Nebari Development as far as I know? Do not get up to the minute status of said tree. Now go back in the closet Silly Willy or stop being a pain in the #$$.
Bob has 'tater' roots too? Help is on the way. Here is a pic of some my newly modified crop so as to avoid the 'tater' root syndrome. Sorry no pics.

Totally un-necessary. From reading what you wrote here:

The big picture first. I have noticed over the years ficus tend to grow a rather large out of scale root systems in some cases. Roots blow up like potatos or carrots as tree progresses sending the complete composition of tree out of scale. We get great trunks and branches with a half dozen spoke roots that just get too big if not managed correctly. Now upon seeing this technique used in the West it gives me an idea. I was getting close to a dramatic multi rooted nebari with large nerifolia cutting propagation but still nothing like the West look. With a little help from my friends I was shown their system. The same day I grabbed 20 or so young plants of mine and did the necessary modifications. Now hopefully, I will have the problem of too many spoke radial surface roots to work with. Will I braid them? I could but I don't think so. Will I save all 30-40 of them? I don't think so, looks like a mop head. Will I save at least a dozen or more? That would be nice. Also, along higher quantity, I don,t think they will 'blow up' or potato on me like a normal root structure does.

I too was confused as to whether you were discussing your own trees or someone elses.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
KK,

I am interested in where you were going with this. Now all I have is a glimmer.

I would like it if you could continue the thread, that is, if you are willing ;)

Always interested in the plight of the ficus!!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
KK,
I, too, would be interested in what you are driving at. I like those nebari and hope we see more of the technique.

On a lighter note, I keep getting roots like this:

Attachments

• PIC_0109a.jpg
    PIC_0109a.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 125

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
KK,

I am interested in where you were going with this. Now all I have is a glimmer.

I would like it if you could continue the thread, that is, if you are willing ;)

Always interested in the plight of the ficus!!!

Me too, but it seems that never happens. I don't understand why people don't see that, its the same old thing every time.

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
I am in the process of requesting permission to use photos plus my chip reader is down so I am treading water for the moment while the boys on the bank of the river are having target practice. Please stand by.
Now if you want to kill a little time we can talk about matric suction, capillary fringe or even perched water tables or even turface? So let me know or just keep plinking away.

Last edited:

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I just received a response to my request fine people. A more important topic for the moment. Do you have any idea how we are perceived by others in the World regarding bonsai forums? I have been wished well by my friends, do what you want, but don't forget your flak jacket. I feel like I am in the Roman Infantry and I have just been given my 'send off' orders to conquer the Hellenistic Empire. Can you imagine?

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is like trying to nail down jello..... ;)

Anyhow, we have confirmed that the trees shown and the technique being almost discussed here are not King Kong's, however he is willing to pass along this information as he recieves it. I too look forward to it.

By the way, giving photo credits, bonsai credits, and sources for the information is the common and ethical thing to do, lest someone mistakenly attributes the bonsai and/or information to yourself.

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
KK,
I, too, would be interested in what you are driving at. I like those nebari and hope we see more of the technique.

On a lighter note, I keep getting roots like this:

Chris,

This isn't one or your trees now is it?:p

Talk about neglect; that one has a story to tell!!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Before we go any further Will, lets have a little review to clear the water sort of speak. Lets start with this Ficus tree pictured below. Can you tell me where this tree is from and where you first saw it on this forum? You can use your notes if you like.

Kong, I am not trying to provoke you but I have no idea what you are trying to say. Why don't you just slow down write one post that contains your complete thought, clearly laid out in a logical manner. It would be oh so much easier than trying to patch together the partial thoughts from several different postings.

king kong

Banned
Reaction score

OK mile high, what part of this do you not understand? This is not paraphrased but first person so I should be able to help you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris,

This isn't one or your trees now is it?:p

Talk about neglect; that one has a story to tell!!

LOL nah, that's not one of mine. That one was in a tattered greenhouse at the back of the Bonsai Cultural Center on Hawai'i.

By the time that happens, just forget about it!

Chris

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Harry; you always do something like this, I've gotten used to it. You promise this and you promise that and in the end, you offer up nothing except insults and sarcasm. Same old crap.

Vance, please see post #12 on the thread "Hey Harry". I would love to see some of your Mugo's, most good one's I've seen come from Europe. I know there must be some good American ones.

Kindest regards,
Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom