ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice progression sequence!!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Mine? I'd take every branch as far back as I could. And a larger pot.:D:D:D:D

Great job!!!;)

Thanks LanceMac

Since I grow indoors exclusively in frigid and dry Chicago weather and ficus 'too little' being a Benjamina cultivar, in my limited experience its very susceptible to die backs. I am always hesitant to trim it back really hard without at least live 3 nodes on the branch. You can call me chicken LOL.

As for the pot, I did ask the opinion of the potter and we agreed on a round shallow pot for versatility of having multiple fronts . The tree itself is like a semi cascade and foliage is only on one side, the rest is all rock and roots.

Thanks much
Eric

IMG_9118.JPG

Reaction score
Hi Eric,

You seem to have a good handle on the fact that the tree in its current state isn't much of a bonsai. That's a good thing! I also think that by air layering it (as it seems by the drawing you have planned for it) you will get a great learning experience if nothing else. So go for it!

I'm in FL so the tropicals that I have layered have all been outdoors....

The only thing I could think of that would be a problem for you would be heat...or the lack of. I'm not sure how the lack of heat will effect the success of the layer. I know of Jerry Mieslik, who has extensive experience with growing tropicals indoors in a northern climate. You might want to look him up.

Thanks for sharing,

Ryan

Edit: I wrote my reply before you posted your second set of pics and info. Looks like the layer was a success!

This is such a condescending reply

Top Bottom