Ficus 'Too Little' ror progressioin

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eric,

You have done a nice job with this project so far.

The only thing I would have done different is I would have planted the composition in a much larger growing container. I have found that during this stage of r-o-r development that most trees need more root run to firmly establish the roots around the rock.

Thanks for the update.

Regards,
Paul

Thanks for taking the time to comment paul. i was thinking since it was a ficus and root grow aggressively all year round that i can get away with a smaller pot. but note taken, it will be in a bigger pot when i re-pot next year.

eric

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
febuary 2011 update...

Attachments

• IMG_0062.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0065.JPG
    IMG_0065.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0072-1.JPG
    IMG_0072-1.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0068.JPG
    IMG_0068.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 250

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi Eric,

I've been watching this post on BonsaSite since last year, I think. Very wonderful progression series! I really love how it looks now. Are you planning on changing the styling now that the lead branch has curved forward? I think the curve actually gives it a neat look. It also has great bends in the trunk. I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with it! :)

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Eric,

I've been watching this post on BonsaSite since last year, I think. Very wonderful progression series! I really love how it looks now. Are you planning on changing the styling now that the lead branch has curved forward? I think the curve actually gives it a neat look. It also has great bends in the trunk. I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with it! :)

Thanks axxon. I turned the cascading trunkline towards the front instead of just one straight line going away from the rock, imo it adds depth and interest to the composition. I'm glad you like it.;)

eric

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I definitely like it much more now that you changed the direction. I completely agree that it adds more depth. Very nice work :)

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just an update, tree repotted and shaped.:cool:

Eric

Attachments

• IMG_0804.JPG
    IMG_0804.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0803.JPG
    IMG_0803.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 240

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would love to see how this tree looks now. Funny, I have the patience for growing things, but these sites with pictures showing others people projects I can not seem to see the results fast enough. This looks like a great little ror ficus. Also is the last pic the front side of this plant? What is the little piece of plastic for? Just curious.

ed

Last edited:

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would love to see how this tree looks now. Funny, I have the patience for growing things, but these sites with pictures showing others people projects I can not seem to see the results fast enough. This looks like a great little ror ficus. Also is the last pic the front side of this plant? What is the little piece of plastic for? Just curious.

ed

Hi ed, I'm glad that you enjoy this ror progression. The tree is a little bit overgrown right now, I am letting it grow wild to thicken the roots on the rock. The plastic on the soil line is filled with soil mounded to reach small roots on the rock to prevent them from drying up and help them to thicken.

Eric

Attachments

• IMG_1330.jpg
    IMG_1330.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 222

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I agree Eric, very nice job and a great progression of the project. I also though like the third pic as a front just because the r o r looks great. But the first will work too, just more time to thicken that front root system. I look forward seeing the progress.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Eric I commented on this on another forum, but I must say again what a great job you have done so far. Looking forward to future updates.

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just an update. Its really hard to get a good picture of this tree, especially the interesting bend and curves of the trunk, but its moving along nicely even with the neglect its getting.

Eric

2012 ror.jpg

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
not too many good ror progressions, this one is great! its nice to see a good step by step for people who would like to try this! tree is looking fantastic!

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
This is a beautiful tree! I've always wanted to try "ror" but I've never felt I had a rock that was good enough, or the experience in bonsai to know what I'm doing.

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
wow looks super good! inspiring for what you started with!

Thanks Erb. You just made me look at the old posts and photos, and I can't believe its been 10 years!

Eric

Top Bottom