Ficus Triangularis

smjmsy00

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here's a photo of a ficus I purchased yesterday from a deceased club member (was sold to me as a boxwood), I trimmed and wired after purchase in typical amateur impatience... I seem to have a surfeit of tropicals. The shelf/enclosure I took this photo in also has a black olive, powder puff, benjimina, and schefflera (and other plants). The wavy poles are because I took the photo in 'pano' mode. Tree is about 26" from pot to tip, narrow straight-ish section of trunk is about thumbs width. Leaves seem a lot smaller than other examples of this species I've seen - hope I can maintain them (apparently lots of light is the key?)

tempImagenPCO1Q.jpgtempImagerx8enI.jpg

smjmsy00

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Certainly not the typical ficus bonsai. I see a possible bunjin.
Definitely not typical, I'm imagining that the former owner knew it was a ficus and it was just incorrectly labeled for the sale. Pretty atypical boxwood bonsai, had it actually been one - boxwood that is.

Possible bunjin? What makes it only a possibility to you? I was already considering it so.

Thanks for the feedback.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When you bought it as a boxwood and the leaves look smaller than those of F. triangularis...also consider Ficus buxifolia.

smjmsy00

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When you bought it as a boxwood and the leaves look smaller than those of F. triangularis...also consider Ficus buxifolia.
interesting! maybe it is? the few descriptions I could find say "dark brown" bark though...

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
interesting! maybe it is? the few descriptions I could find say "dark brown" bark though...
Just saying. There's a lot of similar species in a ficus family. A task for experts I guess.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I picked up a variegated form a couple of weeks ago. Not as mature as yours. They do not like as much water as my other ficus.
Watering is more like a fiddle leaf fig instead of a willow leaf. I have some brown spots and some leaf drop but it came from Hawaii to Iowa so I guess it is a bit shocked. As long as I see new leaves forming then I am happy.
I read not to place it in direct sun- you might have to let me know how yours does.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don’t know tropicals, so as I read through this thread, I thought at first it was a joke. Ficus buxifolia. I was surprised to see a photo in a subsequent post showing that such a plant really exists.

Last edited:
Top Bottom