Ficus update- defoliated

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
After getting this ficus last year it came in with scale and partially covered in tar like black honeydew substance. I treated with neem oil a couple times and a mix of Murphy’s oil soap and water. It did grow over the winter. After deep inspection today it still had a little scale and some sticky spots on some of the leaves.
I did defoliate and sprayed with neem again.
It is getting warmer here now and it’s under good lighting so I feel comfortable doing this now. 5FDAFFA7-1318-439C-AD21-26DE0E1E961E.jpeg4BB6BD51-A0A4-4D5B-AE88-380385C01E07.jpeg336B310A-5D2A-4CED-92A8-C7F457D4323D.jpegE24B966B-096F-4987-83F9-A6EC4715CB96.jpeg64F02CF6-78E3-456D-8B80-4E352130C9E0.jpeg

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great little pot and tree! I defoliated mine. Coming in slowly. Keep us updated.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I hate scale, it killed a very special pant of mine, before I figured out how to get rid of it. If yours still has some, I would keep it away from your other trees. If not for the scale, would you have defoliated?

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I hate scale, it killed a very special pant of mine, before I figured out how to get rid of it. If yours still has some, I would keep it away from your other trees. If not for the scale, would you have defoliated?
I need the light to get into the canopy. I wanted to remove all the leaves when I first found the scale in sept of last year. It was pretty heavily infested. Now it just had a few but hopefully it will be easier to make sure I got them all.
I usually do not do a total defoliation. With this tree though I might have. The canopy is the fullest I have ever worked with. I may wish that I waited until June but I think I will be ok.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mid June I will defoliate once more to let that sun get inside the canopy.
The leaves grew back larger than intended because it is still indoors.
This is also the thickest growth I have ever dealt with. So many fine branches in such a small space. How can the light get inside?
:) hopefully I won’t see any more scale.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You just need teenie birds.
Tree looks like it didn't skip a beat.
There are still a few tips buried in there that I need to pop leaves. They are green so I am hoping they pop.

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you have ficus, you have scales. I am constantly picking them off, I figure it’s just part of the process.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you have ficus, you have scales. I am constantly picking them off, I figure it’s just part of the process.
This was my first tree ever to have scale.
I have kept a lot of trees and orchids. Never dealt with it.

Top Bottom