ficus variegated triangularis

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have several of these. Four large plants and about a dozen small ones. I love them. They are one of my favorite ficus, but I think the are a poor choice for bonsai. IMO. Leaves are large and variegation is a distraction for bonsai. Again, it is only my opinion. Prove me wrong.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have several of these. Four large plants and about a dozen small ones. I love them. They are one of my favorite ficus, but I think the are a poor choice for bonsai. IMO. Leaves are large and variegation is a distraction for bonsai. Again, it is only my opinion. Prove me wrong.
thanks...hmm, tough call, $45ish for a 1 gallon container/plant

leaning on a no for now, appreciate your input

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first one of these I saw a few years back was $400. Then I started seeing some for about $45. I bought two at that price. Then I bought two more at Lowes before they killed them. No doubt it is a beautiful plant.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The first one of these I saw a few years back was $400. Then I started seeing some for about $45. I bought two at that price. Then I bought two more at Lowes before they killed them. No doubt it is a beautiful plant.
i agree, striking leafs

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have a regular triangularis, not variegated but should be the same. The leaves don’t reduce much but still fun to work with, I think. Pretty slow growers too in my experience. Lots of little figs too which looks kind of cool

B2C94722-1541-469A-9E33-1629A10DFDE6.jpeg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have a regular triangularis, not variegated but should be the same. The leaves don’t reduce much but still fun to work with, I think. Pretty slow growers too in my experience. Lots of little figs too which looks kind of cool

View attachment 391067
cool looking plant imo

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Variegated plants aren't sought after for bonsai, at least by anyone I know of. The leaves are far too showy for bonsai use, unless you want attention on leaves and not the work you put into the tree's structure...

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Variegated plants aren't sought after for bonsai, at least by anyone I know of. The leaves are far too showy for bonsai use, unless you want attention on leaves and not the work you put into the tree's structure...
good point and that makes sense! thanks.

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
What a cool plant, thanks for posting!

@penumbra you mentioned finding these at Lowes, how long ago was this? I haven't seen any pop up in SoCal recently, but it is now on my wanted list of houseplants!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What a cool plant, thanks for posting!

@penumbra you mentioned finding these at Lowes, how long ago was this? I haven't seen any pop up in SoCal recently, but it is now on my wanted list of houseplants!
it was last year
lots of them on Etsy from $12 and up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom