Ficus Virens Progression

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a not very well documented progression of a 'deciduous' variety of Fig. First photo is from November 2012, second photo as of today. I purchased this early in my growing fascination for bonsai. One may look at the starting stock and ponder what I saw in it, myself included! I was drawn to the triple trunk and 'awesome nebari', but was able to overlook the ugly wire scars, lack of taper and height similarities.
Unfortunately I haven't documented this tree very well but I eventually decided to cut the outer trunks low to eliminate the wire scars and try to add more movement/separation of trunks. All large roots were cut right back in order to develop a decent base that would actually fit in a pot. Since then it has been allowed to grow to heal scars and mature. Today I felt it was time to do some work, finally seeing something in this stock I defoliated and wired most of the tree. The outer trunks are still obviously in development, trying to grow an apex of sorts and heal the large scars, the middle trunk advanced a bit quicker and is in a refinement mode. I will repot tomorrow with a scale reference, so more photos to follow.
For those who aren't familiar with this variety, new growth is red, leaves are relatively large with long internodes, but with training both reduce amazingly. It is semi-deciduous in my climate, will self defoliate during the coldest part of our season (about a 2-3 week timeframe). Commonly called the white fig for the colour of the bark, which is more of a brownish/white colouration. A good species to work with.

Attachments

• 20121127_094228 (600x800).jpg
    20121127_094228 (600x800).jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 193
  • IMAG0316 (576x1024).jpg
    IMAG0316 (576x1024).jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 185

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ended up getting good rain and held off on repotting, now the buds are opening after defoliating and it seems to be the best back budding Ive had with this tree, so I'll let it go another year. If I rejuvenate the root system and give it room to move I feel I will get long internodes and slow down the branch building process. It is a vigorous species so attempting to slow it down would be beneficial at this stage

Attachments

• IMAG0336.jpg
    IMAG0336.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMAG0339.jpg
    IMAG0339.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 131

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Filling out again, got some good shoots on both outer trunks to build an apex so I wired movement into them and will let them thicken up. Its Winter, growth has slowed significantly but never quite comes to a complete halt.

Attachments

• DSC_0139 (1024x683).jpg
    DSC_0139 (1024x683).jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 119

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I kinda liked the big / surface roots, are they still there somewhere and when will they come back?

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Majority were cut off, they were simply too thick to be in proportion with the tree. They were also thicker towards the ends, reverse taper in roots is plain ugly. All the cut sites have sprouted roots and selection was done on what to keep. I will grab a photo at next repot, just give me 4-5 months

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Majority were cut off, they were simply too thick to be in proportion with the tree. They were also thicker towards the ends, reverse taper in roots is plain ugly. All the cut sites have sprouted roots and selection was done on what to keep. I will grab a photo at next repot, just give me 4-5 months
I'm sure they will become even nicer as the previous one's.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anything would be an improvement. Especially seeing as they limit your pot selection being so large. Cut 'em off, and while you're at it, flat cut the base!

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like it, its coming right along. I dont have many multiple trunks, and none so far along. Thanks for posting, it helps newbs to see the progression.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Cypress187 here's a look at what's left of the surface roots. After taking off the majority of large tubers I will be able to get this into an appropriately sized bonsai pot in future.
For now, its back into its kitty litter tray and kitty litter soil for another 2 years

Attachments

• DSC_0139 (1024x683).jpg
    DSC_0139 (1024x683).jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC_0142 (1024x683).jpg
    DSC_0142 (1024x683).jpg
    212 KB · Views: 103

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Finally got this one into a pot, it's coming along slowly. The top of the middle trunk got a bit out of hand this season and will need further reducing once the back buds pop up in the right areas.

Attachments

• DSC_0191.JPG
    DSC_0191.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_0206.JPG
    DSC_0206.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 62
Top Bottom