Ficus Watering During Vacation

Ed_Inc

Yamadori
Reaction score
So I've got a lovely Ficus that is doing amazingly the last month. It's had a second wave of growth this year and there are new leaves and shoots all over. It stays outside all the time at the moment (although I brought it in briefly when we had the heatwave and some leaves started to yellow), and I am in England.

I am going on holiday for 6 days, and have no-one able to water it. It's due to rain all day on Wednesday, which means it has to go Thursday-Monday with no direct watering. I've got some ideas about what to do with it, however have some concerns about all of them.

1) Leave the pot outside but in a big tray of water, with the water a bit below the top of the pot. My main concern is breathability of the roots if the bottom air holes are submerged. Bonus of this is it can get a good watering on the Wednesday when it's due to rain all day.

2) Leave the pot outside but underneath a large awning, that has a pool of rain water in it that drips. Benefit is the roots would have more air, but the bonsai wouldn't get rained on. The dripping is also sporadic but there is always a little wet patch underneath it so it would get some water at least. There is also risk that the wind is strong enough to blow the awning to shift the water, leaving no dripping and no chance of it being rained on.

3) Leave it inside with good amounts of sun, give it a heavy water and put the pot in a plastic bag and tie it off around the trunk. I think this would be okay for water, but my main concern is leaving it indoors, it's been doing really well outside, and before I took it outside it was starting to struggle.

This is my first time going away with a precious bonsai at home, so some advice would be really appreciated!

I'll attach a picture of him, and of the awning with the drip (ringed in red).

Attachments

• 117775410_301200587823251_269014253473391733_n.jpg
    117775410_301200587823251_269014253473391733_n.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 118074086_953183401859866_6613354858449566434_n.jpg
    118074086_953183401859866_6613354858449566434_n.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 46

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So I've got a lovely Ficus that is doing amazingly the last month. It's had a second wave of growth this year and there are new leaves and shoots all over. It stays outside all the time at the moment (although I brought it in briefly when we had the heatwave and some leaves started to yellow), and I am in England.

I am going on holiday for 6 days, and have no-one able to water it. It's due to rain all day on Wednesday, which means it has to go Thursday-Monday with no direct watering. I've got some ideas about what to do with it, however have some concerns about all of them.

1) Leave the pot outside but in a big tray of water, with the water a bit below the top of the pot. My main concern is breathability of the roots if the bottom air holes are submerged. Bonus of this is it can get a good watering on the Wednesday when it's due to rain all day.

2) Leave the pot outside but underneath a large awning, that has a pool of rain water in it that drips. Benefit is the roots would have more air, but the bonsai wouldn't get rained on. The dripping is also sporadic but there is always a little wet patch underneath it so it would get some water at least. There is also risk that the wind is strong enough to blow the awning to shift the water, leaving no dripping and no chance of it being rained on.

3) Leave it inside with good amounts of sun, give it a heavy water and put the pot in a plastic bag and tie it off around the trunk. I think this would be okay for water, but my main concern is leaving it indoors, it's been doing really well outside, and before I took it outside it was starting to struggle.

This is my first time going away with a precious bonsai at home, so some advice would be really appreciated!

I'll attach a picture of him, and of the awning with the drip (ringed in red).
I don't think putting the pot in water is a good idea.
For a single tree this system is an option...

of course only if your substrate drains very good

canadianlights

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It seems like the soil is the type that retains a lot of water, so I wouldn't hesitate to just leave it for the week if it is going to rain on Wednesday! Do not leave the pot in a vat of standing water. That will harm the tree.

Particularly, since this tree is a ficus, they are able to withstand drought to a high degree, so I wouldn't worry about it at all. If you are only going to be gone for a week, leave the tree out, it will be fine.

Inside should also be okay, you might find that you don't even need to plastic wrap. But if you do plastic wrap, it will retain water, and stay damp.

Ed_Inc

Yamadori
Reaction score
I don't think putting the pot in water is a good idea.
For a single tree this system is an option...

of course only if your substrate drains very good
Very interesting, a little out my scope seeing as we leave tomorrow!

It seems like the soil is the type that retains a lot of water, so I wouldn't hesitate to just leave it for the week if it is going to rain on Wednesday! Do not leave the pot in a vat of standing water. That will harm the tree.

Particularly, since this tree is a ficus, they are able to withstand drought to a high degree, so I wouldn't worry about it at all. If you are only going to be gone for a week, leave the tree out, it will be fine.

Inside should also be okay, you might find that you don't even need to plastic wrap. But if you do plastic wrap, it will retain water, and stay damp.
This is encouraging! To be fair this soil does hold water well (one thing I might change when I repot it). Do you think leaving it open for rain or under my awning would be best?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

You should just leave it out and hope it DOESN'T rain every day, since then it WILL of course, and you'll be fine! 😉

Ficus naturally have a "wet" season which can include standing in water or soaked soil for months, not just a few days.

I've left things submerged that long with no real ill effects, things less tolerable of soggy soil than ficus, in equally wet soil.

The problem with leaving it submerged is, in the event of rain, if the bin is too deep, it can float your soil out of the pot.

I used an underbed storage box with holes drilled just below pot lip level.

Wetter is Better. Dry and they Die.

Sorce

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree the soil looks like it retains a lot of water, which can be good during summer, but sometimes problematic during winter when it doesn't dry out. I setup a drip system for my plants, which has worked wonders not only for my plants but for my anxiety about them.

Ed_Inc

Yamadori
Reaction score
Welcome to Crazy!

You should just leave it out and hope it DOESN'T rain every day, since then it WILL of course, and you'll be fine! 😉

Ficus naturally have a "wet" season which can include standing in water or soaked soil for months, not just a few days.

I've left things submerged that long with no real ill effects, things less tolerable of soggy soil than ficus, in equally wet soil.

The problem with leaving it submerged is, in the event of rain, if the bin is too deep, it can float your soil out of the pot.

I used an underbed storage box with holes drilled just below pot lip level.

Wetter is Better. Dry and they Die.

Sorce
Now I've got conflicting advice! I did think that ficus being a tropical plant could survive the wet whilst its actively growing. I would use something not quite as high as the pot if I did go down that route...

I'm a little bit scarred by root rot however. I used to be somewhat trigger happy watering my plants, as I came from a greenkeeping background where we used to irrigate the greens heavily and it would all drain away nicely (due to having well build sub-soil and drainage). Since then I've lost several plants to root rot and I'm determined not to kill off my beautiful bonsai from it!

However I do think that it would survive the 4 days or so with no water, as the forecast doesn't look too hot, and it does hold water well... Even during the heatwave it was completely fine being watered once a day, and the roots were always damp.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
If you put a clear bag over the whole tree and water it well before you leave I think a week will be ok. The bag will keep the moisture in much better.

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Hello ,
This summer, for the first time, I did capillary watering test and the result is excellent.
The system is certainly what is simpler, it is necessary to connect the top of the substrate of the plant to a water tank (more or less large according to the duration of the absence) with a cotton cord.

The thirstier the plant (dry substrate), the more water it will pump through the cord.
For example, if it rains and the substrate is wet, the water level in the reservoir will not drop.
The water tank (bottle, canister ...) must of course be stable and placed against the plant at the same height or a little higher if possible.

Another advice in case of absence, of course not to place the plant in the sun, otherwise the sucked water will evaporate between the plant and the tank.

I did several tests, on indoor plants then on bonsai outside, it works very well, the substrate remains permanently humid (summer with records of heat in France).

You can put one or two cords depending on the size of the pot.
Of course, as with any system, you have to test it a few days before leaving to check that it works.

Photo taken in a heat wave without adding a drop of water, perfectly wet substrate.

Screenshot_20200817-184810_WhatsApp.jpg

Ed_Inc

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hello ,
This summer, for the first time, I did capillary watering test and the result is excellent.
The system is certainly what is simpler, it is necessary to connect the top of the substrate of the plant to a water tank (more or less large according to the duration of the absence) with a cotton cord.

The thirstier the plant (dry substrate), the more water it will pump through the cord.
For example, if it rains and the substrate is wet, the water level in the reservoir will not drop.
The water tank (bottle, canister ...) must of course be stable and placed against the plant at the same height or a little higher if possible.

Another advice in case of absence, of course not to place the plant in the sun, otherwise the sucked water will evaporate between the plant and the tank.

I did several tests, on indoor plants then on bonsai outside, it works very well, the substrate remains permanently humid (summer with records of heat in France).

You can put one or two cords depending on the size of the pot.
Of course, as with any system, you have to test it a few days before leaving to check that it works.

Photo taken in a heat wave without adding a drop of water, perfectly wet substrate.

View attachment 323487
Looks great! What kind of cord did you use exactly?

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey Ed, every species of ficus will have slightly different needs but I actually soak/submerge my ficus during the hottest weeks of summer. Mine is Ficus retusa (i believe) and it responds with explosive growth on top, of the roots and also makes air roots when i have it in the water dish. AGAIN you'll have to look up where in the world yours originates from but I'll bet you'd be fine soaking it for a few days. I have mine in a very wet substrate and haven't had any problems yet. I will have to be careful when the weather cools but for now it's very happy. I like to travel and I don't trust robots so I have gravitated twoard trees that can handle a holiday swamping

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
I bought this one (sorry I don't know if I can put this photo, but I certify that I am not a majority shareholder at Amazon ...)
The cord must be in a natural material: cotton for example.
20 meters = 65 feet
You need about 3 feet per plant ...

Screenshot_20200817-191017_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I had a lot of clients this summer

20200817_191538.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

This takes longer than a few days to appear, and even longer to due harm, Any and all of which can be reversed or otherwise treated in the slight chance you actually get it.

On the other hand, drying out just once, can mean death or complete loss of possible design.

Sorce

Ed_Inc

Yamadori
Reaction score
This takes longer than a few days to appear, and even longer to due harm, Any and all of which can be reversed or otherwise treated in the slight chance you actually get it.

On the other hand, drying out just once, can mean death or complete loss of possible design.

Sorce
I'm still torn between leaving it and leaving it in water! Hearing very mixed things, even with ficus retusa. I'm leaning towards just leaving it as is (with a thorough water and full humidity tray). Only because I've never really seen this soil actually dry out, even during hotter weather. The weather is forecast to be quite cool, and only one sunny day, plus the rain forecast on Thursday will give it a good soaking and top up the tray too. I'll update you when I'm back!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Assume the worst - the Wednesday rain will NOT come, temperatures will be higher than forecast, a hot wind will be blowing and neighborhood cats will come into your yard (garden?) and tip over any contraption you leave to water it. I keep several ficus outside in the summer, and any time I am leaving for more than two days they come inside and shelter in place together in a plastic tub. Usually with a small amount of water in the bottom. The high sides keep humidity up, and it is cool enough in the house that they will not dry out for a week. I come back, they go outside, and everybody is happy.

That said, I think the next best option is outside in a pan of water. There you have less control, but as long as things go as planned then your tree will be fine. Happy travels!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As mentioned above, give it an ordinary watering, put it in a big clear plastic bag, blow it up with your lungs which will fill it with CO2, seal the bag and place it where it gets some sun. It can stay there a month or more. Any grey mould that might build up washes off with a hose.

There is a name for this: terrarium.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
A week in water is not long enough to cause root rot. That takes months of being over wet.
It does not need to be totally submerged to last a week. Half way up the pot would be enough to last a few days and it will survive another couple on residual water so a wide shallow tray would be better than a bucket.
You are also correct that ficus can tolerate dry better than most species so you could just give it a good soak, put it somewhere shady and cross fingers.
Wrapping the pot will save some water lost to evaporation but will not stop losses from transpiration through the plant. It will also make it more difficult for the promised rain to water it.
Indoors will definitely extend the time the moisture lasts. Indoor conditions reduce both evaporation and transpiration.
I deliver a lot of trees through the post. Even in summer trees will arrive still damp after a week with the pot wrapped in a plastic bag and inside a cardboard box. I assume that the box also reduces evaporation and transpiration. I'm not suggesting you put it in a box but cool shady area would probably produce similar result.

Conflicting advice is common in horticulture and especially with bonsai. Many people have untested theories they present as fact. Others have made generalizations from a single incident. A great many are just repeating hearsay. Often the differing advice are all correct to a certain degree because plants are adaptable and there are many different extraneous things affecting the results (and I think that is the case here) You need to sift out the nuggets from the gravel and go with your best feelings and any other background info you have available.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It will live no matter what!

What's funny is the time we've spent collectively worried and talking about it is worth about 8 times as much, of not terribly more, than the tree itself.

It would have been better for all of us, and bonsai as a hobby/profession/mission, to just outright kill this tree and start a GoFundMe for a better one for you! Ha!

Humans are dense! Thick! Utterly moronic!

All things considered...

The safest AND most natural thing for the tree is to leave it submerged.

Indoors is no. Your house can burn down.

In a plastic bag? C'mon. Plastic is a byproduct of the MOST earth ruining thing we do. NO!

Dried out? Think not.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It will live no matter what!

What's funny is the time we've spent collectively worried and talking about it is worth about 8 times as much, of not terribly more, than the tree itself.

It would have been better for all of us, and bonsai as a hobby/profession/mission, to just outright kill this tree and start a GoFundMe for a better one for you! Ha!

Humans are dense! Thick! Utterly moronic!

All things considered...

The safest AND most natural thing for the tree is to leave it submerged.

Indoors is no. Your house can burn down.

In a plastic bag? C'mon. Plastic is a byproduct of the MOST earth ruining thing we do. NO!

Dried out? Think not.

Sorce
Plastic is the savior of humanity, without which we would need to use more wood, metal and glass requiring more mining and intense use of forests.

Top Bottom