Ficus WIP

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would just let those bottom branches run wild.
Looks good.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was delighted to see that top come off.

I think this can still be chopped in half.

Groovy pot.

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If it were mine...I would remove that length that has no taper that draws the eye away from the base and gnarliness. And work with this here for a cool sumo. But that's me. I don't think anyone should jump into anything they don't see as a long term goal...with it residing on their bench and not my own.

Look at how powerful of base it is. But you need to do it in the spring. So you have time to think over it. 😉
Screenshot_20191202-132040.png

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If it were mine...I would remove that length that has no taper that draws the eye away from the base and gnarliness. And work with this here for a cool sumo. But that's me. I don't think anyone should jump into anything they don't see as a long term goal...with it residing on their bench and not my own.

Look at how powerful of base it is. But you need to do it in the spring. So you have time to think over it. 😉
View attachment 273099
Ive thought about this a bunch. I'm still undecided, but I could literally do it anytime, and once I do it it'll never go back. So I'm gonna develop it like this until I get bored or change my mind.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ive thought about this a bunch. I'm still undecided, but I could literally do it anytime, and once I do it it'll never go back. So I'm gonna develop it like this until I get bored or change my mind.
No need to rush. I've chewed over all advice given me. Somethings line up to my vision...some not. I just happen to love sumo. Just seen you are from Florida...so yeah you time to work is extended verses mine.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Over time, I would like to see the "chop" scar changed to a diagonal cut and then allowed to heal over. The way the branch is bent to continue the trunk line looks a little awkward, but time and new branches up there to make the apex will smooth that out.

I do like what you have done with it.

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
I like what you have done with the tree.

The second right side branch seems to grow from the same place as the third right side branch. Is this the case of just a camera angle? It will soon cause reverse taper in ficus.

You could also look at letting the first right side branch grow unchecked for 2 seasons or so and let it get some girth to overtake the first left branch in size. With this species this shouldn't take to long.

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I like what you have done with the tree.

The second right side branch seems to grow from the same place as the third right side branch. Is this the case of just a camera angle? It will soon cause reverse taper in ficus.

You could also look at letting the first right side branch grow unchecked for 2 seasons or so and let it get some girth to overtake the first left branch in size. With this species this shouldn't take to long.
I think it's an optical illusion, i think the "3rd" is actually a rear branch.

Im also using certain foliage as filler and am waiting for opportunistic back buds to show up. Definitely plan to build up that first branch and like you said its fairly easy with this guy to get balance going.

Top Bottom