Fidur's Chamaecyparis Thyoides - White Atlantic Cedar

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This thread is to document this tree progression, though comments and thoughts are very welcome.
Bought this tree 9 months ago. It is a Chamaecyparis Thyoides "RedStar"- Discussion about this identification was held here: Click
I have been studying this tree for the last 6 months

IMG_20210317_104145.jpg

Sometimes I made a light prunning like 2 months ago:

IMG_20210417_183907.jpg

But today I speed up a little and changed the angle and made some prunning, so I could see much clearer the structure under that foliage

DSC_8086 (2).jpgDSC_8094 (3).jpgDSC_8084 (2).jpg
DSC_8087 (3).jpgDSC_8089 (3).jpg

Somehow, I didn't like the arch shape of the secondary trunk , so I made some changes, to avoid the arch;

DSC_8102 (4).jpg

I still have to prune and clean a lot, but my aim is to keep this design as naturalistic as I can
So, do you think I'm in the right track or have I overdone something or lost any good chance to improve the tree?

Attachments

• DSC_8085 (2).jpg
    DSC_8085 (2).jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just wanted to stress that this is a very underrated species in the bonsai world.
In fact few try to develope it as a bonsai that I'm aware, but the truth is that it has very tiny foliage (cryptomeria like), it backbuds in old wood as well as in fresh foliage, the cuttings are really easy to root (I have a lot I got in the first styling), and you can easily give them the shape you want, as they let you bend without cracking or dieback. The bad news is that they are really difficult to get (this one came to my island in a conifer order for a nurserie, but it was not ordered by the nurserie...they didn't even know what species it was).
This is one of the rooted cuttings from first styling..... It was pruned 2 months ago. Zoom in and you'll check the new growth

JMK_0996.jpg

These are some other cuttings I've not touched yet

IMG_20220720_210607.jpg

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have a Meth’s Dwarf that is starting to fill out nicely although the foliage is a bit unruly and looks more like a C. obtusa. I bought it from Mountain Meadows several years ago originally for the nebari and it was a bit thin at the time. But now that it is filling in I like the challenge of trying to style it to look more like the native trees we have along the coast here in NC. I think this fall it will get it’s first styling.

C4547BA1-842B-497D-A4E4-CF58B53B9DDC.jpeg

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was looking at these just the other day. I'll have to reconsider.

JRBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excellent progress again! I see that you’ve made the good decision of removing foliage to expose the nice trunkline.

gooeytek

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I really like what you've done with this. I'm generally not a fan of multiple trunks, but this looks really special and it's paid off that you kept it as such.

Top Bottom