Field Dig at Nature's Way

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
I am scheduled for a dig at Nature's Way, and was wondering if anyone has been in their fields? I am curious about what species are being grown, how big, etc. Thanks.

Patrick

KABUDACHI

Seedling
Reaction score
Mostly Hornbeams, sweetgums etc... I went with Doyle about 5 years ago. Great times!

James

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Hmm, cant say I am too interested in sweetgums. How were the hornbeams? I am trying to gauge what kind of material is up for grabs, and how much I can expect to pay. It is getting into prime fly fishing season here, so I am trying to decide if it is worth the drive on Sunday to dig up some trees.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'd say you are asking the cows how the pig food is, best place to ask would be the Doyles. Why guess, or have someone else guess.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
For whatever it's worth: I've never been to Nature's Way; but from the quality of materials I've seen Jim selling in different venues, and the quality of those of Jim's trees that I've seen, I would expect to find trees that are worth the effort of digging them.

As to what you can expect to pay, that I can't help with; sorry!

I think Bill has a good suggestion: contact Nature's Way directly, and ask your questions. :)

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Wouldnt be asking the general community if I already hadnt asked Jim....a month ago. Still hasnt gotten back to me. Besides, I figured plenty of people had dug something up there over the years.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't speak for where your possible source may be but the local bonsai field nursery I go to, average stock normally averages between $20-50. Again though you get what you pay for and the better specimens will obviously have their cost reflect that.

KABUDACHI

Seedling
Reaction score
Its worth going to Doyle's to collect! I am certainly not one of those people "Guessing". I have done it and have been privilege to visit with Jim and his wife often. I also recall seeing crabappless along with the American Hornbeams, Red Maples, Sweetgum and Corolopsis(may be spelling this wrong).

What will he charge who knows.. Mr Jim unlike many other vendors is not greedy. He is a very nice man and enthusiast. He is very price friendly.

James

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Alright, you talked me into going. Yeah, I have been to Jim's twice now. He is very nice and a pleasure to deal with.

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I too think Jim is a great guy. I am fortunate enough to live less than 45 mins away from Nature's Way, and have been there at least 80 times! I have had the pleasure of taking several classes with Jim, and he has always been very courteous and a top notch teacher. I can't speak on the digs as of yet, as I will be attending my first this weekend, also. Hope to see you there!

Nomiyama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kabudachi is right about Jim being a man of his word and not being greedy. Last year at the spring show in D.C Jim had a specimen trident that had a price on it for $3000. He ended up selling it to some guy the first day of the convention for less than what the tree was marked. The buyer could not take the tree home until the next day. Many people throughout the day offered Jim full price if he would just sell them the tree, Jim said of course he would not and honored the deal with the initial buyer. Even though believe it or not the tree was not even paid in full yet?? Really nice guy and a man of his word, that goes a long way in this bonsai business.

Top Bottom