Field growing an chinese elm?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,
I am wondering if I could put this in the ground. Its from brussels bonsai, and I would like to restyle it. Its been outside all year, so I think it would survive.
Any other advice is appreciated.
Thank you,
PorterIMG_0802.jpgIMG_0807.jpgIMG_0803.jpg

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,
I am wondering if I could put this in the ground. Its from brussels bonsai, and I would like to restyle it. Its been outside all year, so I think it would survive.
Any other advice is appreciated.
Thank you,
Porter
You'll be best served by putting this tree in the ground, as it is one of the dreaded "S-curve" Chinese elms. For the first year, let the tree get used to its new growing environment. When the growth really kicks in, most likely in Year 2, I'd suggest chopping it near or below the first curve of the S. Let a new leader grow, a single one, being careful to remove most of the shoots in the apex so as not to encourage a reverse taper. Once the new leader has extended sufficiently, the lower trunk will begin to put on girth which is what you want. You can repeat the chop back and grow approach for the next few years until you get something larger to work on. You can also apply wire during the regrowth phase, but watch it closely as rapid growth tends to bring on rapid girdling from the wire.

I grow a lot of Chinese elm in the ground, being careful to leave the "S's" in the alphabet where they belong.

Good luck!

Zach

Top Bottom