Field Growing Resources

BckCntry

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am lucky to be buying a new home with enough backyard to consider field growing. The property is 6a and I am considering transplanting RMJ's, Pinyons, and maybe some native deciduous. I know there are many factors to consider but I am not finding much information online directly related to field growing. Any advice, links, or book recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey BckCntry, congrats on your new home!

I can't give you any advice on the chopping (too new and ever have done it), but I would say that discovering the best recommended treatment for the trees you plan to field grow would give you the optimum health for your trees. Things like checking the pH of your soil and water, properly amending poor soils, water/sun/fert as best preferred by each type of tree -- this is what I might suggest as a first step. I have learned not only to research each type of tree, but also educate myself on best horticultural practices. I have been a flower gardener for many years but I have found that trees have their own unique preferences.

I'm sure others with more bonsai experience than I have will give you better answers.

Good luck and have fun!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am lucky to be buying a new home with enough backyard to consider field growing. The property is 6a and I am considering transplanting RMJ's, Pinyons, and maybe some native deciduous. I know there are many factors to consider but I am not finding much information online directly related to field growing. Any advice, links, or book recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Consider species that are prized if developed correctly as opposed to species that are prized when collected from adverse growing sites.
Research your soil conditions, water supply and specific growing site for exposure aspects.
Visit tree farms in your area and observe their practises, set ups etc.
Ask advice from local forestry and agricultural professionals. Ie: Native tree farms growing for restoration.
Particularly ask about local pests, problem for tree production, ie: deer, rats, mice, voles, rabbits and known pathogens.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Consider species that are prized if developed correctly as opposed to species that are prized when collected from adverse growing sites.

This is great!

Like yes Maple amd Pine...no Juniper.

But further...

Developing these correctly takes A lot more time amd effort than something more set it and forget it like an elm, near any shrubs, etc.

Sorce

Top Bottom