Field Grown Japanese Beech Makeover

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The bold moves you make are indeed inspiring. And fruitful. To see that vision and pull it off from that first image is pretty astonishing in the short time you've been working on this.
Did you have to defoliate this, or did it drop it's leaves by itself?

Thanks, Judy. There were, perhaps, a half dozen leaves that hung around. The rest fell off on their own.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's this guy in summer foliage this year. Enjoy.

Attachments

• EHornbeam-12sp.jpg
    EHornbeam-12sp.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 199

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, I do love this one. Good to see it again, thank you for posting updates on your trees, it's a joy to see them all.:)

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's an update on this progression thread of a tree that appears in many other threads of mine. All I can say is "You've come a long way, Baby!", or "What a difference a decade makes!", or "Who would'a thunk it?!" Enjoy. :)

E. Hornbeam Winter:15.jpg

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
European Hornbeam, Winter 2015.jpg It occurs to me that not everybody knows that constant meaningless and costly upgrades in software have ruined forever my joy in presenting top-notch photographs of my trees here. Apple, Adobe and Photomatrix have conspired to ensure that - without enormous outlays of money and time - my bonsai postings here are no better than the average teenage narcissist posting endless selfies to endless social media sites. I've become used to holding myself to a very much higher standard than that in posting photos on BNut, but have finally accepted the fact that mediocrity reigns, and that exceptionalism is merely another politically incorrect micro aggression against the masses.

Hence, I am reduced and resigned (until they ship me off to a re-education camp somewhere in the gulag) to posting shitty-but-acceptable-to-the-proletariate photos, cranked out with boredom for public consumption from the preprocessing app, iPhoto.

The last one I cranked out for this tree did not suit me very well at all, especially in term of such subtleties as exposure, contrast, definition, sharpness and such, so I thought I'd sign up for some little Mac-run "Fix." A cure? No. Palliative? Maybe a wee bit.

Most people won't even notice the difference, but I will.

Enjoy!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very more relaxing. The second photo!

Cool progression!

Sorce

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
View attachment 86251 It occurs to me that not everybody knows that constant meaningless and costly upgrades in software have ruined forever my joy in presenting top-notch photographs of my trees here. Apple, Adobe and Photomatrix have conspired to ensure that - without enormous outlays of money and time - my bonsai postings here are no better than the average teenage narcissist posting endless selfies to endless social media sites. I've become used to holding myself to a very much higher standard than that in posting photos on BNut, but have finally accepted the fact that mediocrity reigns, and that exceptionalism is merely another politically incorrect micro aggression against the masses.

Hence, I am reduced and resigned (until they ship me off to a re-education camp somewhere in the gulag) to posting shitty-but-acceptable-to-the-proletariate photos, cranked out with boredom for public consumption from the preprocessing app, iPhoto.

The last one I cranked out for this tree did not suit me very well at all, especially in term of such subtleties as exposure, contrast, definition, sharpness and such, so I thought I'd sign up for some little Mac-run "Fix." A cure? No. Palliative? Maybe a wee bit.

Most people won't even notice the difference, but I will.

Enjoy!
Second pic is darker with a better contrast between the white bark and the now totally black background... Brings out the ramification more.

Really like this tree Grouper! Gives me some ideas for a Korean Hornbeam I just purchased at the Carolina Epo earlier this month... I will have to post a few pics of it here one day and see what people recommend...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Visually, you see a lot more with the second one. Either one, beautiful tree, getting better.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Any more of an update on this tree?

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow! Thanks for your interest in this tree! It's always been one of my favourites!

I don't even remember who I left this tree to when I went to retire overseas ... I think either Rob Rubenstien or Hansie Lopez. My favorite photo of it before I gave it a away is posted below!

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well. ... I can't find the pixels that represent the 3D physical tree I last recall. Pixels do not equate with the sort of reality that these trees embody anyway.

I prefer - in my final in my days - actual reality ... physical trees, physical people ... the rest ... just illusion - often convincing, but ultimately fraudulent, "virtual" at best, "as if", and hollow in its ability to satisfy and convince ... I want real trees, real bonsai friends, and a real woman sleeping next to me. The rest is just wishful thinking, mental masturbation, empty fantasies.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@grouper52 ... You have a thing with being lonely in the wee hours. I really think a companion dog/cat...( I'm a dog person) would offer something to the solitude you feel.

I am glad you have real trees and humans friends near you who...enjoy this hobby of ours. But...I live for virtual...my circle of bonsai is online. I feel blessed by having them in my life. I've grown...by their knowledge. I live so rural...when I water my trees...I feel blessed. I mean, my circle and contacts lead them to my bench. When I think of how I don't have close bonsai peeps near.

But, I much prefer my dog, over most interactions with humans through out my normal day.
image.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@grouper52 ... You have a thing with being lonely in the wee hours. I really think a companion dog/cat...( I'm a dog person) would offer something to the solitude you feel.

I am glad you have real trees and humans friends near you who...enjoy this hobby of ours. But...I live for virtual...my circle of bonsai is online. I feel blessed by having them in my life. I've grown...by their knowledge. I live so rural...when I water my trees...I feel blessed. I mean, my circle and contacts lead them to my bench. When I think of how I don't have close bonsai peeps near.

But, I much prefer my dog, over most interactions with humans through out my normal day.
View attachment 230727
I think what Will needs is a swift kick in the pants.
@grouper52.
Take a look at my thread about my brother.
Just when you think life cant get worse something like this comes along to lift you up.
I've learned in the past few weeks that anything and very unexpected things can happen.
Give it time.
Or I just might hop in my truck and deliver that kick in person.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think what Will needs is a swift kick in the pants.
@grouper52.
Take a look at my thread about my brother.
Just when you think life cant get worse something like this comes along to lift you up.
I've learned in the past few weeks that anything and very unexpected things can happen.
Give it time.
Or I just might hop in my truck and deliver that kick in person.
How very nice, Mike. F' off, and A'Dios.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How very nice, Mike. F' off, and A'Dios.
That's what I'm talking about.
You be mad at me. I kind of wanted that post to elicit a reaction from you other than woe is me.
I like you a lot Will.
I like you so much that I want you to be mad.
Yell and scream and swear at me.
Tear me a new one.
You're the psychiatrist but we both know if you keep shit bottled up it will eat you alive.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's what I'm talking about.
You be mad at me. I kind of wanted that post to elicit a reaction from you other than woe is me.
I like you a lot Will.
I like you so much that I want you to be mad.
Yell and scream and swear at me.
Tear me a new one.
You're the psychiatrist but we both know if you keep shit bottled up it will eat you alive.
Mike, what he needs is professional help - counseling at a minimum and possibly help from a fellow psychiatrist. Sorry to jump into your business, @grouper52, but you know the value of these things. I hope you’re not trying to tough it out alone.

Top Bottom