Field Grown Larch Initial Styling

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
I purchased this larch last summer and had the opportunity to workshop it with Walter Pall. Unfortunately I had to leave the workshop early, and I think it shows in my poor execution of Walter's vision. I did the best I could at the time to wire it up, and over the winter I reduced many of the branches to start developing some taper. It is currently styled as a wind-influenced tree, which I think suits the material (which has virtually no branching on one side).

In a separate thread (https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/larch-root-rot.37623/) I briefly addressed the awful root issues I encountered when I went to repot this tree. I ultimately may need to graft roots on, or try ground layering, but as a result the tree is potted in a large, deep pot for now. While it's a little too big, I dig it: the colors and textures are a perfect fit. I opted against a larger training container but that may be it's next destination if I don't have any luck growing new roots.

Here is the tree as purchased:

larch prebonsai.jpg

And here it is after repotting this past weekend (front/back):

IMG_20190319_173706.jpg
IMG_20190319_173737.jpg

I don't like how the tree looks. The transition to the apex looks contrived, and so does the wind-influenced look. It could be that I just don't have the skill to pull this off a convincingly, or it could not be the right design for the tree. In either case, I am considering pulling the apex over and redesigning this tree in a slanting style, like so:

1553043826579.png

Any suggestions on whether to keep the current design, or go for the slanting style would be greatly appreciated. Also anyone with knowledge of developing larch roots, I could really use your help! I will try to post updates on this tree as it progresses. Thanks for reading!

Zach

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I really like your vision of the slanting style and I think you should go with that. Have you consider to make a twin trunk style as well using as a second trunk that first lower brunch? I am not an expert so take all that I say very light but that's what I would try to accomplish if the tree was mine.

Reactions: Meh

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am a complete newbie, so my opinion is not worth a lot.
But I'll give it anyways; I think your drawing of a slanting style looks a lot better than the wind-influenced idea :)

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like I have some work to do.

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Having studied the tree more, I think I am going to modify to look like the below. Will update this thread next time I work on the tree. Thanks for reading!

larch sketch 2.PNG

Top Bottom