Field-grown trident

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
On tridents, you can prune anytime. The concept of hardening, for me, is when the growth is mature enough to wire without damaging the soft growth.

What's the best time to prune Tridents to get short internodes? My Tridents have burst into spring growth but all shoots have long internodes.

my maple.jpg

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Are we talking about post 5? The place where you agreed and then did not take the advice.

Are you having a bad day, Al? I did execute the chop you proposed. I acknowledged your advice and posted about it in post 22, then updated the thread periodically for the next three years on the healing of the chop that you advised. Including with a post on this page.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What's the best time to prune Tridents to get short internodes? My Tridents have burst into spring growth but all shoots have long internodes.

View attachment 263958

Why do you care about short internodes on wood you’re not going to keep? When you’re developing the trunk or the primary branch structure, you want strong growth. Strong growth means long internodes and big leaves. Those things don’t matter on wood you’re going to prune off anyway. The only the that matters right now for you is to set the angle of the new growth according to your vision for the tree. The length of the first internode is somewhat important (although you could always graft), but the length of the internode on everything beyond that is meaningless. It’s just there to thicken the branch.

As your tree develops, you’ll get more and more ramification. More branches mean more buds. Since you have the same amount of roots supporting more buds, the growth from each will be weaker and you’ll have tighter growth and smaller leaves. Also, you’ll be using different techniques like pinching and partial outer canopy defoliation that you will employ to manage the growth. But in development, you don’t want any of that. You want vigorous growth and long extensions that you can wire to build either the next trunk section or to set the primary branch structure.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
More buds (particularly the ones at the tips of branches) also means more roots.

Agreed. As long as you’re giving them room to grow and not regularly repotting and cutting them back significantly.

S

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you having a bad day, Al? I did execute the chop you proposed. I acknowledged your advice and posted about it in post 22, then updated the thread periodically for the next three years on the healing of the chop that you advised. Including with a post on this page.

Scott
You did not do what I suggested at all. My chop would have been half or more smaller than what you did, and I wouldn't have grown that insanely long sacrifice to heal the larger than the trunk chop. Now you have a huge mess up top and will have to start over again. Not prudent. I am getting an education though, thanks. My apex would have started where I suggested cutting the small tip. You have a life time, keep up the good work.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You did not do what I suggested at all. My chop would have been half or more smaller than what you did, and I wouldn't have grown that insanely long sacrifice to heal the larger than the trunk chop. Now you have a huge mess up top and will have to start over again. Not prudent. I am getting an education though, thanks. My apex would have started where I suggested cutting the small tip. You have a life time, keep up the good work.

Thanks. Appreciate the feedback

S

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks. Appreciate the feedback

S
I think what Smoke is saying (and he hates it when I try to do stuff like this) is he would have made the chop at less than a 45 degree angle. More straight across. Not completely straight across, but not as steep as a 45.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is your teacher. I would appreciate you not use my name any longer in how you work your tridents. I absolutely do not do what you are doing. I would appreciate you attributing all your work to Boon. It seems he has been to your house, I suspect if has given you ideas on how to work this. This is Boons work, not mine.
image (1).jpeg

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This is your teacher. I would appreciate you not use my name any longer in how you work your tridents. I absolutely do not do what you are doing. I would appreciate you attributing all your work to Boon. It seems he has been to your house, I suspect if has given you ideas on how to work this. This is Boons work, not mine.
View attachment 263992

Ok no problem.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yes. I'll be developing secondary branching off that.

This is my opinion. I see a young shoot with perhaps one season of growth. There is no movement, taper or character to the branch. If it were my tree, I’d cut it back to the new extending shoot and wire that shoot out to form the next segment of the primary branch. Then let that segment grow out to build caliper, then cut it back again. In a few seasons you’ll have a good branch with tight internodes that you can build from.

S

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
This is my opinion. I see a young shoot with perhaps one season of growth. There is no movement, taper or character to the branch. If it were my tree, I’d cut it back to the new extending shoot and wire that shoot out to form the next segment of the primary branch. Then let that segment grow out to build caliper, then cut it back again. In a few seasons you’ll have a good branch with tight internodes that you can build from.

I think you're right. Thanks for the advice.

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
When you’re developing the trunk or the primary branch structure, you want strong growth. Strong growth means long internodes and big leaves

I apologise if this is another stupid question, but if you get strong growth on primary branches with long internodes, doesn't the first secondary branch grow far away from the trunk? Or does that not matter?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I apologise if this is another stupid question, but if you get strong growth on primary branches with long internodes, doesn't the first secondary branch grow far away from the trunk? Or does that not matter?

All you’re worried about is the first internode. That’s about all you’ll keep each year. It’s the process of growing out and cutting back year after year that will slowly develop interesting branch structure.

S

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All this is discussed in great detail in the “Ebihara Maples” thread.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
All you’re worried about is the first internode. That’s about all you’ll keep each year. It’s the process of growing out and cutting back year after year that will slowly develop interesting branch structure.

S

That right there is basically the key to deciduous branch form, in my opinion, especially on maples.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I know it seems counter intuitive at first, but the branch will scale with the tree, and the taper of the branch should taper with the trunk if the tree is balanced for vigor.

I let my tridents grow to 5-6 internodes, the cut back to one. Then let grow again. Etc. Sometimes I can get 3 “cutbacks” a year (my elms more)

Top Bottom