Field-grown trident

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hey Scott, I really like this one.

Where did you get the watering gizmos for the pots, does it work well, and is it difficult to set up? I am looking to set up a system to water things when I am away. I prefer to do it myself, but sometimes there are just not enough hours in the day and I find myself outside at 10PM, watering.

John

Watering emitters came from Loews. They’re easy to set up. I went through the setup in this thread. I advise getting a good line filter. Microemmitters clog easy.

s

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I performed shoot pruning and partial defoliation on this one twice this spring and then cut back just the apex. It has slowed down considerably, settling in for the mid-summer doldrums. I’ve left the lower branches long and will let them continue to extend and build strength over the summer.

621A3743-68A8-4714-BC7A-2C4F43089DB9.jpeg

Tree by River

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I performed shoot pruning and partial defoliation on this one twice this spring and then cut back just the apex. It has slowed down considerably, settling in for the mid-summer doldrums. I’ve left the lower branches long and will let them continue to extend and build strength over the summer.

View attachment 307286
Scott love your threads on tridents, because you are to not far from me(approx. 4hrs) we just about have the same growing conditions. I’m in south central Louisiana. Question, can I repot tridents at this time of year to say a grow pot or is it better to wait til late winter? I’m at work on two tridents now. Thanks for the threads great info on all of them.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Scott love your threads on tridents, because you are to not far from me(approx. 4hrs) we just about have the same growing conditions. I’m in south central Louisiana. Question, can I repot tridents at this time of year to say a grow pot or is it better to wait til late winter? I’m at work on two tridents now. Thanks for the threads great info on all of them.

Hi TBR - I never repot tridents at this time of year. I’ll wait until late spring - I repot from bed swell until its in early leaf with soft growth.

S

Tree by River

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi TBR - I never repot tridents at this time of year. I’ll wait until late spring - I repot from bed swell until its in early leaf with soft growth.

S
Good deal I’ll just wait til next April/May. For now I will let them grow out till winter and cut back. I have some Anderson flats I will put both in next year. Thanks again.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Good deal I’ll just wait til next April/May. For now I will let them grow out till winter and cut back. I have some Anderson flats I will put both in next year. Thanks again.

You’ll probably not have to wait that long. Bud break for me is generally in mid to late February - that’s when I like to repot. But our winters are so mild and there’s so little danger of a hard freeze, that I do a fair amount of repotting in January as well. By April or May, everything is really pretty much in full leaf. I’m generally in late spring/early summer work at that point - wiring, pruning, defoliating, fertilizing, air-layering, performing large cuts, fertilizing, etc..

- Scott

Tree by River

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You’ll probably not have to wait that long. Bud break for me is generally in mid to late February - that’s when I like to repot. But our winters are so mild and there’s so little danger of a hard freeze, that I do a fair amount of repotting in January as well. By April or May, everything is really pretty much in full leaf. I’m generally in late spring/early summer work at that point - wiring, pruning, defoliating, fertilizing, air-layering, performing large cuts, fertilizing, etc..

- Scott
Great you are right some winters are really mild in January. I know this past January was like that. Good then I will shoot and go off of January if its cold I’ll hold of til late February early March. I know right this week on I have pulled all my trees out of the direct sun over head cause the temps are roaring towards mid 90s. And I’m watering no less than twice a day. I just got into this wild ride of Bosnia and loving it. I’ve always had a green thumb so I just upped it by doing trees. We just had the tropical storm blow through and the humidity is just unreal and the trees are loving it.
thanks,

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
We just had the tropical storm blow through and the humidity is just unreal and the trees are loving it.

Yes - I‘m watching Cristobal carefully. I do a lot of work with the Red Cross - this is the start of the busy season and I‘ve been on standby for deployment to La since last Thursday.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The shoot for the third graft was not long enough to graft a right branch, so I’ll let it grow a bit this spring before approach grafting it. Here’s the tree after I cleaned up the top soil and worked on the surface roots. I’ll add some sphagnum to the soil surface and the tree is ready for spring.
825855EE-56EF-403E-97F5-A96A136BF419.jpeg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Does it like the slightly colder conditions??

I want to grow some and have access to fresh seed…….I also hVe access to fresk local ffield maple seed!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Does it like the slightly colder conditions??

I want to grow some and have access to fresh seed…….I also hVe access to fresk local ffield maple seed!
Tridents seem to be doing as well here as they did in Houston! I kept them in the high tunnel until mid-April and then moved them out. They really took off.

I planted the field maple seed you gave to me - I have two trays of them growing strong!

- S

Top Bottom