Field Grown Yatsubusa Elms

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
**It's been brought to my attention that these are Cork Bark Elms; Ulmus Corticosa**

I wanted to do a formal thread on a couple cork bark elms. I posted before about their being dug fairly late in the season. It's been just over a month since I dug these two out and put them in some training containers. They sat in the shade for the first 2 weeks until they started to show signs of vigor. Now they receive plenty of sunlight and are rewarding me with fast growth up and down the trunk. I'm truly a fan of the rapid pace of elms; these are my first.

As first dug and planted: #1

Elm 1.jpg

As first dug and planted: #2

Elm 2.jpg

And here's that bark that makes these look so amazing:

IMG_4707.jpg

Attachments

• Elm 2.jpg
    Elm 2.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Elm #1 after a month of growth

Pardon the lighting:

Here's the larger of the two. I took off a few branches after it started to push and the dern thing rewarded me with an abundance of new buds along the trunk line. I started with what might be the front and rotated 90 degrees clockwise for each shot.

IMG_4698.JPG

IMG_4699.JPG

IMG_4700.JPG

IMG_4701.JPG

I do think I like the idea of a twin trunk on this one but I imagine cutting the secondary trunk down to half or so. The horizontal branch, I'm not in love with. It may end up as an airlayer next year.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Elm #2 after a month of growth

And here's the little guy. This one I think MUST remain a twin trunk. It almost looks like two small cutting grew together. There is a seam on the back. Again, I imagine I'll cut the secondary trunk down to about 1/2 or so.

IMG_4702.JPG

IMG_4703.JPG

IMG_4704.JPG

IMG_4705.JPG

I've yet to do any virts or formalize any plans. I've only removed suckers and branches growing for the very bottom of the trees. For now I'm happy to let them recover. Thanks for your time and attention. :)

-B

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
They've got great bark, regardless. Awesome material, and it's nice to see them growing well so soon after collection. I truly covet that first one:D.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They've got great bark, regardless. Awesome material, and it's nice to see them growing well so soon after collection. I truly covet that first one:D.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's elms... :p

Nice elms. You could almost use #1 as a twin trunk too, chopping both trunks down by half or so and working out the canopies (a bit hard to tell without seeing how far up the second trunk starts off the nebari.

I think you're right about #2, as otherwise you'd probably be left with a boring tree. The seam might be a bit of a problem, but I would think that in time the bark will cover it up.

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
On tree #1 (post #2)...I think pic #3 is a better front. I know the bark is not as good but consider it anyway esp since most growth are on your currently chosen front.

Keep the lower branch for now...you might still see it my way and chop it down to half. LOL ;) :eek:

BTW, I am not sure but I do not believe these are Yatsubusa (sorry).

Last edited:

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
On tree #1 (post #2)...I think pic #3 is a better front. I know the bark is not as good but consider it anyway esp since most growth are on your currently chosen front.

Keep the lower branch for now...you might still see it my way and chop it down to half. LOL ;) :eek:

BTW, I am not sure but I do not believe these are Yatsubusa (sorry).

I do like that view of the tree also. It certainly hides the chops better.

I'm not exactly sure I want to sacrifice the height of the tree. I like em tall, dark and rough. ;)
I'm going to try and get to some photoshop this weekend. Maybe you'll be able to see what I do.

I really don't get hung up on the species. This species, has beautiful bark and great vigor.

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's elms... :p

Nice elms. You could almost use #1 as a twin trunk too, chopping both trunks down by half or so and working out the canopies (a bit hard to tell without seeing how far up the second trunk starts off the nebari.

I think you're right about #2, as otherwise you'd probably be left with a boring tree. The seam might be a bit of a problem, but I would think that in time the bark will cover it up.

I think #1 was going to be a twin trunk. Or maybe mother-daughter is a more accurate term. davetree has one that inspires me. No - he has 3 that inspire me actually :)

Why chop it so low? I felt it had decent movement and taper all the way up the main trunk. :confused:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think #1 was going to be a twin trunk. Or maybe mother-daughter is a more accurate term. davetree has one that inspires me. No - he has 3 that inspire me actually :)

Why chop it so low? I felt it had decent movement and taper all the way up the main trunk. :confused:

I think you can keep it tall too if you'd like. I tend to go for more compact powerful trees. Also, with deciduous material, I tend to lean towards a trunk line that is broken up into lots of sub-trunks up the tree, rather than a tall trunk with lots of branches that hang off the side like a japanese-styled pine (hope that makes sense). It would take longer to do it that way, but I think it looks nicer and more deciduous-like.

Either approach is nice though - it's great to have material like yours with options.

Last edited:

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The leaves look like standard corkbark elm. Yatsubusa leaves have a very particular shape like no other elms have. Standard elm leaves are rounded, yatsubusa leaves are not, the leaf has straight edges.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice elms. You could almost use #1 as a twin trunk too, chopping both trunks down by half or so and working out the canopies ...

I tend to go for more compact powerful trees. Also, with deciduous material, I tend to lean towards a trunk line that is broken up into lots of sub-trunks up the tree, rather than a tall trunk with lots of branches that hang off the side like a japanese-styled pine (hope that makes sense). It would take longer to do it that way, but I think it looks nicer and more deciduous-like.

2 for 2 I agree with you...what's happening?!?! :eek: LOL ;)

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The leaves look like standard corkbark elm. Yatsubusa leaves have a very particular shape like no other elms have. Standard elm leaves are rounded, yatsubusa leaves are not, the leaf has straight edges.

Thanks Dave. I would rename the topic if I could. When you say "straight edges" I'm not sure what that means. Would you mind clarifying?

Am I correct in saying that the term 'Corkbark' is like saying Chinese Juniper; where it's a category that umbrellas multiple species?

I seek information, not argument.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yours looks like corticosa, the standard variety of cork bark elm. Yatsubusa leaves look slightly elongated, which makes the part of the leaf closest to the stem appear straight instead of rounded. Here's a pic.

image.jpg

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Of the corkbark elms used for bonsai there is corticosa, yatsubusa, Seiju, and Hokkaido.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Of the corkbark elms used for bonsai there is corticosa, yatsubusa, Seiju, and Hokkaido.

Three of those are not cork bark elms.....

Rough bark, yes...
Only corticosa is a corkbark elm.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here are a couple of the strange leaves on a 'yatsubusa' elm.
Very cool trunks you have there!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 43

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Three of those are not cork bark elms.....

Rough bark, yes...
Only corticosa is a corkbark elm.

I don't understand. Can you explain ? I thought they were all considered "cork" bark. I can't tell the difference in the bark of these varieties.

Top Bottom