Field grown Zelkova

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Was in the local bonsai nursery earlier, Windy bank Ken's in Surrey....

thought i'd bring this Zelkova with great potential to the attention of @ConorDash . i will take it myself if its still there in winter and it will be chopped down to the amazing stump...

First of all, the price is great....Ken has grown this tree from a mame size, in the ground for 30 years, it has a superb nebari, amazing deadwood shari which was done by peeling back a branch 5-6 years ago, you can see how its callused nicely with some aged deadwood, you wont see this on most Zelkova if at all, powerful trunk base,
great for air layering one or more trees from, most of the trunks are pretty straight, but one has a nice shari and one has good movement
20170828_153937 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20170828_153837 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20170828_153953 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20170828_153913 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20170828_153856 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20170828_154045 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20170828_154029 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20170828_154014 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

this trunk in the middle is a potential layer, has good movement, i guess you could even form a trunk line with either that trunk or the one with the continuation of the shari?
20170828_160257 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

price is £130, steal imo

interested to hear the design thoughts of others and what they'd do with this material if they had it???

you could even take it down to a twin trunk and attempt something like that Ben oki hackberry? with shari side?

i dont have the space to mess about with millions of layers, but i think someone who does has a great opportunity to have a few trees out of this. if i buy it will just be reduced, no faffing about.

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
am i the only that can see this in the material?
Oki-Hackberry1.jpg

in a number of years of course....zelkova are a vigorous grower with fine branching, theres an option for a taller tree with one of the trunks, but the species is very well suited to broom

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

thought i'd bring this Zelkova with great potential to the attention of @ConorDash . i will take it myself if its still there in winter and it will be chopped down to the amazing stump...

First of all, the price is great....Ken has grown this tree from a mame size, in the ground for 30 years, it has a superb nebari, amazing deadwood shari which was done by peeling back a branch 5-6 years ago, you can see how its callused nicely with some aged deadwood, you wont see this on most Zelkova if at all, powerful trunk base,
great for air layering one or more trees from, most of the trunks are pretty straight, but one has a nice shari and one has good movement

this trunk in the middle is a potential layer, has good movement, i guess you could even form a trunk line with either that trunk or the one with the continuation of the shari?

price is £130, steal imo

interested to hear the design thoughts of others and what they'd do with this material if they had it???

you could even take it down to a twin trunk and attempt something like that Ben oki hackberry? with shari side?

i dont have the space to mess about with millions of layers, but i think someone who does has a great opportunity to have a few trees out of this. if i buy it will just be reduced, no faffing about.

Very nice. Get it Dash man!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Informal broom

ok, thanks....did you have a particular trunk line in mind?
i could see an informal broom image from this angle, this trunk has the best movement and future potential for that, maybe thats what youre thinking too

the trunk on the right, then goes and leaves a visible scar if one goes that route, likewise if removing any of the others, so you then consider if the tree needs more dead wood, or do you sit and look at it for 10 years while its healing. or make uro's of the removed trunks...
guess all that comes down to taste anyway

Last edited:

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey,
Sorry bit delayed in my reply.

Yeah it's great, love the base and features, it looks lovely.
And I agree, it's a good price. To be honest, a recommendation from yourself is all I'd need any way!
But.. I just can't :/. Can't spend the money. It's the money holding me back. Can't spend at the moment. Potentially soon but just not right now.
It's 53 odd miles from me, not close but not bad. I'd have to pay mum to get there lol.
Looks great though. I bet if it was with kaizen, Potter would sell it for 2-3x the price lol

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score

price is £130, steal imo

You have to buy it Bobby. You'll do nice tree from it. Price is great.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You have to buy it Bobby. You'll do nice tree from it. Price is great.

i probably will Maros, its a great opportunity to own a substantial lump of zelkova with great potential. really lovely autumn colours on this species. the shari looks like how it would of occured in nature, with no more need to refine or do anything to it. its just a matter of chopping low and growing a new canopy which is a simple enough task on such a vigorous species.
interested to know, if you owned it, would you look to make a clean cut across, about this height?

lower

if attempting to emulate the twin trunk hackberry above, maybe about here, although the trunks start a little higher on the hackberry

Last edited:

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is quite a tree with a good pair of options! Als for that price realy a steal
i guess if done right the airlayers could be sold earning back the money spend to buy the tree bigtime!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That is quite a tree with a good pair of options! Als for that price realy a steal
i guess if done right the airlayers could be sold earning back the money spend to buy the tree bigtime!

he has bigger ones that he'll be bringing out over the winter. this one would be big enough for me though

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sounds tempting the uk isnt that far from here :p lol

he has these ones as well, not as nice though, also been ground grown from mame size....at £75 a piece, still good carving projects, i nearly bought one until i saw the bigger one
Zelkova stumps by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

best out the two
Zelkova stumps at windy banks bonsai by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

looks better at a different rotation. theyre not very pretty though, darn right ugly in fact:D

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cool zelkova is a species in my wanna have list for sure but probably ill go buy one somewere in the netherlands tough lol

I just got 5 new beeches 2 way to big trees and 3 smaller ones about maybe 6-10 cm in diameter but collected at a bad time so not sure if they will survive tough you saw the biggest one wich i posted it has two great airlayer options to make two powerfull trees from but first thing will be getting it trough winter alive !

Also if i want more trees i gotta convince the wife i need the other side of the garden as well to place 8 meters of benches to put more trees on lol

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
he has these ones as well, not as nice though, also been ground grown from mame size....at £75 a piece, still good carving projects, i nearly bought one until i saw the bigger one
Zelkova stumps by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

best out the two
Zelkova stumps at windy banks bonsai by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

looks better at a different rotation. theyre not very pretty though, darn right ugly in fact:D
Neither of these are worth buying. The nebari is awful, and the diagonal chops are no good either.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ok.. got to beat bobby to the nursery, use a fake name and remember to deny all knowledge of buying it and never post a pic of it.. muahaha

jokes aside i`ve mail them asking if they can ship as a one off.. Gonna start at £85 plus shipping :p

Top Bottom