Field Maple #10

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Field Maple #10 - The one is a small tree which was started as cutting by Evergreen Garden Works in California in 2000. I got it in 2006 as very raw material. Now it starts to look promising. While in Europe we have endless imported small trident maples and Japanese maples in good quality, field maples are almost non-existent in showable quality. No wonder, if it takes 20 years to make them look like something.

1.jpg2.jpg2006-04-Dsc_3269v.jpg2007-01-Dsc_0177v.jpg2007-01-Dsc_0178v.jpg2009-12-NSC_8864v.jpg2009-12-NSC_8864v1.jpg2009-12-NSC_8866v.jpg2010-01-TSC_0270x.jpg2014-03-R2C_3398w.jpg

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very nice! Do you typically use guy wires instead of regular wiring? Guy wires seems easier but I saw someone mention it can cause the branches to have a rainbow shape.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I use guy wires if possible on such trees. The results look more natural and the wiring is MUCH faster and very efficient. Also taking off or changing wires only takes minutes.I do not care about the looks. I sacrifice momentary beauty for future quality. One must attach the guy wires so that the result looks natural. This is certainly possible with practice.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Walter Pall you do your defoliation/hedge in June in DE, since I am in central TX and our spring started over a month earlier than yours, when would you recommend to defoliate/hedge here for JM, field and tridents?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I really like the guy wire approach. My field maple is rather coarse. Looks good with leaves but once the leaves are removed it’s not very twiggy. I’m not sure how to attain the ramification shown on this tree. Any tips are helpful. Defoliation? Hard cutbacks?

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Walter Pall you do your defoliation/hedge in June in DE, since I am in central TX and our spring started over a month earlier than yours, when would you recommend to defoliate/hedge here for JM, field and tridents?
I thiunk end of May shouold be a good time.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I really like the guy wire approach. My field maple is rather coarse. Looks good with leaves but once the leaves are removed it’s not very twiggy. I’m not sure how to attain the ramification shown on this tree. Any tips are helpful. Defoliation? Hard cutbacks?

Full (100 %) defoliation by End of June will do the job.

Top Bottom