Field Maple #9

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great tree - I have a field maple that is starting to get the plated bark this one is showing all over. I bet the rock at the bottom really drags (literally) at repotting time. I'm presuming it was collected like this - do you know what kind of rock it is? Also many times your trees often retain secondary trunks but you decided to eliminate it in this case. What was the thought process behind this decision?

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Great tree - I have a field maple that is starting to get the plated bark this one is showing all over. I bet the rock at the bottom really drags (literally) at repotting time. I'm presuming it was collected like this - do you know what kind of rock it is? Also many times your trees often retain secondary trunks but you decided to eliminate it in this case. What was the thought process behind this decision?

The rock is heavy indeed, I only repot this tree when necessary, that is every ten years, it is pure calcium as all rocks in Dalmatia, I did not like the secondary trunk on this one.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The rock is heavy indeed, I only repot this tree when necessary, that is every ten years, it is pure calcium as all rocks in Dalmatia, I did not like the secondary trunk on this one.
10 years, that's interesting how protracted the interval is. Is this to keep internode size down? Mine is getting to a stage where this aspect is important so I'll definitely keep it in the pot a lot longer than I first thought.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The bonsai world repots way too often. It is not good for a tree per se to be repotted, especially if you cut roots. It hurts him and throws him back a couple years and risks his life. One should only repot when necessary. With old collected trees it is only necessary after many years.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The bonsai world repots way too often. It is not good for a tree per se to be repotted, especially if you cut roots. It hurts him and throws him back a couple years and risks his life. One should only repot when necessary. With old collected trees it is only necessary after many years.

I also do believe this to be very true.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The tree looks much nicer after the sub-trunk removed. Beautiful!

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice Walter. I was surprised at first sight of seeing the big branch removed, now I see why. I love how you don’t need so many branches to create a lovely full canopy as well.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Top Bottom