Caleb Campbell

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I received these from Evergreen Garden works, the first, smaller one in late July, the second larger one in late August.

Both trees looked very happy and healthy upon arrival, but after getting the first one, within a week I saw the first signs of these dead leaf spots. A month later I got the second one and the exact same thing happened. The leaves have slowly been dropping ever since and the trees didn't grow at all as they should've. I placed the first one in a spot that got a decent amount of full sun, but after these spots came I shaded it. The small one lost its last leaf about 2 weeks ago (which for my region is abnormal) but it only had two left for the past month. The big one has lost a good portion of its leaves but still has quite a few, and it doesn't look like it's getting worse (maybe now that it's cooled down?)

I suspected overwatering, but adjusted my watering and it seemed to continue. I suspected scorching, but shaded it and it seemed to continue. I spray all my trees with neem oil semi-regularly, so I'm not totally sure if it's fungus, but that's what it looked like to me at first. The trees were completely separate and immediately did this after shipping so fungus is my least convincing theory, but totally possible.

Anyone have any ideas? It gets very hot here so my top theory is heat stress. But, you'd think Japanese maples would be less heat tolerant than Campestre, but my Japanese maples do just fine. Or am I mistaken? Perhaps the damage was done when I gave them too much sunlight and shading them wasn't enough to stop the damage? I had people tell me "It's winter of course it lost its leaves" but keep in mind, this problem started in August when it was 93-99F, very few of my trees have even shown fall color since we have a nearly 300 day growing season, and the leaves do not look like what happens from fall. My larger field maple has perfectly green leaves, despite all the dead spots, and has lost its leaves steadily since I received it.

I would greatly appreciate any insight at all. By all means, tell me whatever you know about Field Maples, particularly in hot areas.

First two photos are from late August/Early september

Third photo is my larger field maple today:

Attachments

• 235A79DC-1A9B-47F7-8419-451E2E29E29B_1_105_c.jpeg
    235A79DC-1A9B-47F7-8419-451E2E29E29B_1_105_c.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 32
  • AA483B8D-0212-47CD-B8A5-DA0392EB6332_1_105_c.jpeg
    AA483B8D-0212-47CD-B8A5-DA0392EB6332_1_105_c.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 31
  • rAmIdMu.jpeg
    rAmIdMu.jpeg
    457.2 KB · Views: 30

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did I miss 3 threads?

Welcome to Crazy?

Seems just powdery mildew, I'd burn the leaves you should be ok next year.

Sorce

Caleb Campbell

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Did I miss 3 threads?

Welcome to Crazy?

Seems just powdery mildew, I'd burn the leaves you should be ok next year.

Sorce
Oh i forgot to mention that I did see the faintest bit of white powdery stuff after shipment, but I thought it was from the packing peanuts. So I agree this is possible as well. It may actually be a combination of mildew and scorching perhaps?

Thanks sorce

Top Bottom