Field maple yamadori

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Probably mid-late February where you are, depending on whether it gets cold again next week. Once the buds start swelling but before they start showing green. Make sure you have permission from the landowner, needless to say.

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
Probably mid-late February where you are, depending on whether it gets cold again next week. Once the buds start swelling but before they start showing green. Make sure you have permission from the landowner, needless to say.
OK, I've noticed the buds starting to swell on a couple of my trees. My hawthorn has already pushed some leaves

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
It is. I saw a wild hawthorn with some leaves open last weekend - in a sheltered location but still very early.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
SE UK should have mild winters; I would not be thinking about it and just collecting it when I had the time. For me, field maple is bullet-proof.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
The Wirral isnt SE UK!! Best wait a while till the floods subside, the snow melts and the ground dries and warms up a little!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've just checked some climate data for Liverpool. It can get cold but that appears to be rare. Your winter temps are just a fraction cooler than my area. I have no problem with digging and transplanting from mid winter right through to bud burst. I would expect your trees to be fine if you collect them now but they certainly won't start to grow any earlier because of early collection. You will just have longer to wait and worry after digging early.

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
I've just checked some climate data for Liverpool. It can get cold but that appears to be rare. Your winter temps are just a fraction cooler than my area. I have no problem with digging and transplanting from mid winter right through to bud burst. I would expect your trees to be fine if you collect them now but they certainly won't start to grow any earlier because of early collection. You will just have longer to wait and worry after digging early.

I wouldn't expect them to grow sooner.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Current weather here in UK midlands is freaky- severe floods, waterlogged ground followed by heavy snow Yuck - not good for digging or transplanting- I would wait a bit!!

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
Current weather here in UK midlands is freaky- severe floods, waterlogged ground followed by heavy snow Yuck - not good for digging or transplanting- I would wait a bit!!
I'm currently keeping my eye on the weather forecast. I might wait for the temp to start climbing a bit

treepirate

Sapling
Reaction score
2 options in the UK I've always found.

1 - Dig when the buds are starting to really swell and you will get away with a bigger root reduction...often I will cutback to primary roots on a deciduous.

2- Dig a bit earlyer but leave a good number of secondary roots and a few feeders.

Problem with option 2 is you often find you end up with a large root ball, often deep too depending on field soil.... You will be looking to hard prune them again to get them in a smaller pot in 4 years time....that means really not pruning foilage much for 3/4 years to gain enough energy for that kind of work.

If I go with option 2...often I will take a huge root ball and plan to air layer year 4 so I can work the foilage a bit harder year 3.
Few things to think about.
Good luck

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
2 options in the UK I've always found.

1 - Dig when the buds are starting to really swell and you will get away with a bigger root reduction...often I will cutback to primary roots on a deciduous.

2- Dig a bit earlyer but leave a good number of secondary roots and a few feeders.

Problem with option 2 is you often find you end up with a large root ball, often deep too depending on field soil.... You will be looking to hard prune them again to get them in a smaller pot in 4 years time....that means really not pruning foilage much for 3/4 years to gain enough energy for that kind of work.

If I go with option 2...often I will take a huge root ball and plan to air layer year 4 so I can work the foilage a bit harder year 3.
Few things to think about.
Good luck
I was thinking of taking a big root ball and reducing it. The trees already got decent tapering

Top Bottom