Field maple yamadori

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm guessing the trees are about 6 inches. I don't have an exact pot in mind though I would guess about 12inches round.

Not familiar with the prices of pumice in your area, but here in the States it is relatively affordable. Better to buy more than you think necessary, you can also use any leftovers as a drainage layer for when you repot your other trees.

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
Not familiar with the prices of pumice in your area, but here in the States it is relatively affordable. Better to buy more than you think necessary, you can also use any leftovers as a drainage layer for when you repot your other trees.
It seems to be twice the price of moler clay

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Field Maple Acer campestre is a very hardy adaptable UK native tree and isnt that fussy ! Why not use Cat Litter- its much cheaper!!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'm guessing the trees are about 6 inches. I don't have an exact pot in mind though I would guess about 12inches round.
I have collected a lot of trees and can tell you the pot you need is always bigger than the one you thought would do. Trees seem to have a habit of expanding as the are dug. They are always much bigger after you dig than you thought. Also much heavier and in most cases nowhere near as good as you thought.
I hope you mean 6 inches diameter trunk not 6" tall. Good luck getting a 6" daimeter trunk into a 12" daimeter pot but I think I would have a backup plan for something a bit bigger. If you get stuck the roots of your collected tree can just be buried (heeled in) in sand, soil or something damp for a few days, even weeks till you find a suitable container.

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
I have collected a lot of trees and can tell you the pot you need is always bigger than the one you thought would do. Trees seem to have a habit of expanding as the are dug. They are always much bigger after you dig than you thought. Also much heavier and in most cases nowhere near as good as you thought.
I hope you mean 6 inches diameter trunk not 6" tall. Good luck getting a 6" daimeter trunk into a 12" daimeter pot but I think I would have a backup plan for something a bit bigger. If you get stuck the roots of your collected tree can just be buried (heeled in) in sand, soil or something damp for a few days, even weeks till you find a suitable container.

I have a few buckets and some bread baskets I could use.

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
I've took the plunge and bought 30 litres of pumice. The only way I'm really going to learn in bonsai is by experience.

I'm thinking if there is a lot of root on trees I dig up I can use moler. If not I've got the pumice on hand to develop the root structure.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've took the plunge and bought 30 litres of pumice. The only way I'm really going to learn in bonsai is by experience.

I'm thinking if there is a lot of root on trees I dig up I can use moler. If not I've got the pumice on hand to develop the root structure.
I have started going 50/50 pumice (BIMS) and pine-bark on newly dug stuff and getting very good results. I do not know what it is, but the pine bark really seems to add to the rooting. Just a random remark, in case you do not have enough pumice. Bark is cheap and easily had if a gardening centre / hardware store opens... :)

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
I have started going 50/50 pumice (BIMS) and pine-bark on newly dug stuff and getting very good results. I do not know what it is, but the pine bark really seems to add to the rooting. Just a random remark, in case you do not have enough pumice. Bark is cheap and easily had if a gardening centre / hardware store opens... :)

The funny thing is, and I know I don't have the experience to back it up. But I feel that there is a benefit to trees using organic components. I'm sure as I get more experience in Bonsai, part of my MO will include organic components.

Top Bottom