Field trip to The Flower Market

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Took a trip up to The Flower Market in Dundee, MI and came back with some goodies. They had a BIG selection and most of it was out of my price range. But they had everything from small starters to trees in the thousands.

I was looking at some junipers but I already have quite a few and was looking for something new. I saw some korean hornbeam I liked but they looked to be struggling and the owner told me they were recently dug so I passed. I was originally planning to get one $200 tree but didn't fall in love with anything so instead got two $100 trees.

2019-05-25 20.14.57.jpg2019-05-25 20.15.02.jpg2019-05-25 20.15.13.jpg

Picked out this American Larch. There was another one I was eyeing but while it had nice nebari the trunk was perfectly straight and I wanted some movement so I went with this one. I don't know a lot about larch yet but I'm ready to learn so feel free to give advice!

2019-05-25 20.15.30.jpg

Also got this small larch forest that should be pretty nice in a few years.

2019-05-25 20.16.00.jpg

My Brazilian rain tree is close to death thanks to one bad weekend over the winter so I picked up a small replacement or supplement if the other one does live. I really liked my rain tree so I'm still holding on to hope that it will recover now that it is warmed up (there is still some green under the bark). If not, I'll have this guy.

2019-05-25 20.16.07.jpg

I also picked up this other BRT for a coworker who wanted one.

2019-05-25 20.16.25.jpg

To my surprise my gf wanted this one so I was happy to oblige. Apparently it is my job to keep it alive but it is hers. lol.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My BRT was also struggling hard this winter. It was down to only one little sprig on the whole tree that had any leaves on it. Now that it’s warm enough, I have it outside and, although it’s still pretty sparse, it’s pushing a fair amount of new growth. There’s one branch that still has no leaves so that part may have died, but I’m thinking the tree may pull through ok overall as long as it doesn’t experience any major setbacks before it has a chance to rebuild its energy reserves.

Good luck with yours!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My BRT was also struggling hard this winter. It was down to only one little sprig on the whole tree that had any leaves on it. Now that it’s warm enough, I have it outside and, although it’s still pretty sparse, it’s pushing a fair amount of new growth. There’s one branch that still has no leaves so that part may have died, but I’m thinking the tree may pull through ok overall as long as it doesn’t experience any major setbacks before it has a chance to rebuild its energy reserves.

Good luck with yours!
My BRT's are the only ones that don't throw most of their leaves down in disgust, when I bring them in.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I really like the surface roots on that Larch. They really “anchor” that strong slanting movement well.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My BRT's are the only ones that don't throw most of their leaves down in disgust, when I bring them in.
This one was fine for the beginning of winter when I first brought it in. It didn’t start going downhill until around February. I had it under lights, so I’m thinking that perhaps the really low humidity was what it didn’t like.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This one was fine for the beginning of winter when I first brought it in. It didn’t start going downhill until around February. I had it under lights, so I’m thinking that perhaps the really low humidity was what it didn’t like.

Interestingly, mine was doing fantastic. I had it in my office right under a grow light and it was kicking ass. Throwing out so much new growth I was having to prune it at least once a week. I was watering Monday-Wednesday-Friday. It was good from September thru February. I watered it one Friday, went home for the weekend, and on Monday it was very droopy. So was the Parrot's Beak Tree I had next to it. That tree had been recovering from a near death experience and was also doing great. That same weekend it went downhill, too.

Both steadily declined for the next few weeks. Finally, it warmed up enough that I took them home to do the two-step shuffle. Days outside in the indirect sun, nights inside. They were in such poor shape that I decided to do a re-pot and discovered that the soil the vendor had used had broken down into basically potting soil. It was dry all around the edges but sopping wet in the middle. I re-potted both into Akadama (with a little lava/pumice/DE for the BRT because I was running low).

The Parrot's Beak has responded well. It held one branch with a few leaves for weeks and now that it is finally warming up is throwing new leaves. I think it will recover. The BRT is still droopy but the last I checked was still alive.

I don't know for sure what happened. It is odd that both crashed at the same time over the same weekend. I do know the humidity tray for the BRT had too much water in it when I came in Monday morning so I suspect I watered too heavily and they both drowned over the weekend. It is also possible the temperature in the office dropped too much.

But, I digress and hijacked my own thread. lol.

I really like the surface roots on that Larch. They really “anchor” that strong slanting movement well.

Thank you. Now I need to figure out what to do with it. I read you shouldn't broom larch but danged if it isn't kinda broomed already. Or I could grow out the apex following the existing slant. Or I could sweep it from there into a short upright. So many options! lol

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've heard about this place, so far I've resisted making the trip...

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
They've got some nice stuff. Went to a workshop with Todd Schlafer last week. Before and after

Attachments

• IMG_20190513_193912188.jpg
    IMG_20190513_193912188.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20190519_161425486.jpg
    IMG_20190519_161425486.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 28
Top Bottom