9b
where can I buy a fig tree to start with,I want it to grow here in Las Vegas

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Fig trees, all fig trees are in the genus Ficus, there are some 1000 different species of Ficus.

The culinary Ficus, or culinary fig is Ficus carica. You can usually find these in the landscape plant section of big box stores, usually in spring along with the fruit trees such as peaches and apples. The leaves of culinary figs do not reduce as well as the tropical ficus, so culinary figs are not used very often as bonsai, though I have seen one or two that were done well.

Ficus, the various tropical fig trees used as houseplants and bonsai can be found at the "houseplant" section of most big box stores and garden centers. Many of the ficus are good for bonsai. Ficus microphylla is the most popular, especially the named cultivars 'Green Island' and 'Tiger Bark'. Ficus benjamina is also popular as bonsai. There are quite a few other species. The willow leaf ficus is quite popular as bonsai.

If you'd prefer to mail order, both the links below are reliable vendors of pre-bonsai, and likely will have a Ficus or two available.

culinary Figs can be had below, I've had good service when ordering from Burnt Ridge Nursery

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As mentioned, ficus microcarpa is the most common ficus sold in big box stores (Walmart, Lowe’s, Home Depot). Usually Ginseng or Tigerbark cultivars - you will likely find Ginseng most often. It’s recognizable by the fat bulbous roots. These usually require severe root pruning to begin training as bonsai. I would recommend a Ficis microcarpa “Tigerbark” for a first attempt. It has a nice form and you don’t have to bother with the big tube roots.
Benjamina (at least in my area) is mostly found at plant nurseries, not so much in big box stores. These are a little more sensitive and particular than microcarpa. You have to take special care when pruning as they’re more prone to die-back.

Tigerbark - these are most commonly found in an “S” shape.
30D2C419-0FA9-4197-9FE4-E88692D2D720.jpeg

Ginseng - again, recognizable by the fat roots. The roots in this one have had severe root pruning and a couple years to recover. Typically they’re all over the place with ugly inverse taper.
1306BC6A-A00A-46E6-815A-F13ECC64D97B.jpeg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
i have a turkey fig i dropped $100 on early spring. it has two plants in large pot, and about 4, 1.5" trunks overall. in the next spring i will be hardcutting this as well. unless the 20 figs on it right now all ripen and i want more of them, ill let her go and just use a cutting for bonsai. otherwise ill be cutting away 80% of it and propagating cuttings as well

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
i have a turkey fig i dropped $100 on early spring. it has two plants in large pot, and about 4, 1.5" trunks overall. in the next spring i will be hardcutting this as well. unless the 20 figs on it right now all ripen and i want more of them, ill let her go and just use a cutting for bonsai. otherwise ill be cutting away 80% of it and propagating cuttings as well
Peter Chan of Heron bonsai just put up a video a week or so back about using F. carica as bonsai. They aren’t common as bonsai - mostly as they don’t reduce well and fine branching is hard to develop on them.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Peter Chan of Heron bonsai just put up a video a week or so back about using F. carica as bonsai. They aren’t common as bonsai - mostly as they don’t reduce well and fine branching is hard to develop on them.
There was a nursery in central CA that sold a lot of figs with small leaves. Big trunks and small leaves.
The catch was that they didn't STAY small. They were selling lil guys that had just leafed out.

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If your talking specifically about ficus carica, I had a few and sold them. I also sold a Ficus Benjamina and kept a Ficus Microcarpa Tiger Bark / Kinmen / Golden Gate. Enjoyable trees - and fruit - but it's hard to keep the leaves small. One year, I was able to keep the leaves a few inches wide on one of my trees. I think it just put out more foliage than usual. After a repot the next year, the leaves were back to full size. My space is limited, so I sold all my trees with larger leaves (aka, trees that needed to be larger to be in scale), including my figs. There are other trees with oak-lobed leaves that may be more suitable for bonsai, such as Hawthorn, many people regard Oak as challenging.

Top Bottom