Filtering Water

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi everyone. Does anybody filter chlorine and chloramines along with other detrimental substances like heavy metals from their water? I know that here in San Diego the water is hard and filled with junk. I've looked into filters that go in line with a garden hose and wonder if they may help. I have an RO system but that cannot keep up with the quantity of water that my trees demand so I reserve that for carnivorous plants and whenever I want to flush out salts. Anyone ever experiment with the concept of filtering water and witness quantifiable benefits?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi everyone. Does anybody filter chlorine and chloramines along with other detrimental substances like heavy metals from their water? I know that here in San Diego the water is hard and filled with junk. I've looked into filters that go in line with a garden hose and wonder if they may help. I have an RO system but that cannot keep up with the quantity of water that my trees demand so I reserve that for carnivorous plants and whenever I want to flush out salts. Anyone ever experiment with the concept of filtering water and witness quantifiable benefits?

I do. I was looking in to filtering my water for my trees and found the water quality report for the city. Then I sent off a sample to Texas A&M. On it's return I immediately ordered a whole house filter for the humans in the house. Hopefully the trees like it too.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I do. I was looking in to filtering my water for my trees and found the water quality report for the city. Then I sent off a sample to Texas A&M. On it's return I immediately ordered a whole house filter for the humans in the house. Hopefully the trees like it too.
I should probably do that sometime...water test.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I should probably do that sometime...water test.

All municipalities are required by law to make their water tests public. In Houston, you can look up the surface water report as well as individual sampling reports from locations all over the city. That scared me enough to forget the trees and get a test done on water from our tap. I discovered a major drawback of living downstream of the entire country.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Zelk, I remember when I would only see that crazy owl when I looked up old threads....nice to see you around more again!

No rain water right?

I don't know if it's feasible for you there...
But our boy @eferguson1974 grows with Aquaponics, and I know systems like that can help remove toxins.

Maybe you can set up a natural system to clean water, and eat from it.
Couple fish and it's fertilized....

Either way....yes it's better...
Dude was just talking about how using rain water helped incredibly.
But for me, a filter system would have to be close to free or pay for itself.

Or, screw it!

Welcome to Plumb Crazy!

Lead ain't that bad!

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi everyone. Does anybody filter chlorine and chloramines along with other detrimental substances like heavy metals from their water?

At our old place we had to have an extensive filtration system as the water was horrible Here when we bought this place the water was far better but the chlorine and sediment was not acceptable so we had a simple whole house filter installed and it works wonderful. Keep in mind it is not a box store unit made for light industrial application but I only use two filters a year so the running cost is fairly cheap. It covers all of the house. For reference the filter cartridge is 20 inches long.

IMG_0945.JPG

On it's return I immediately ordered a whole house filter for the humans in the house. Hopefully the trees like it too.

The plants here, potted, lawn, and landscape love it - compliments from the entire community as the place was somewhat a shambles but since restored.

Grimmy

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

You would most likely have better results with something made for an RV application. Something like a chlorine/sediment setup that will work on a standard hose. https://jet.com/product/detail/67d7...204480:pla-161717762700:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15

Being honest though a whole house filter with a one time install will improve not only the water quality for the plants but also your household. A goo example where I live is sediment builds up in hot water tanks wrecking them and I do not have that in my unit.

Grimmy

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I saw those too thanks Grimmy. yea I would like to get one just dont feel like spending on it really haha. My house water runs through a softener, but the outside hose does not. Def picking up another rain barrel from sams club for 80 bucks.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Curious to know if anyone has ever tried this hose attachment? or something like it? I saw scotts set up in one of his recent posts.. that would be nice. i do go through a lot of rain water, im hoping something like this would do the job for 25 bucks.. feeling optimistic, but obviously have my doubts..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G2586NK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
I've read a lot of mixed reviews on this so I tried it for myself last year. At least visually there was less hard water deposits and the trees appeared to grow a bit better. It worked decent enough that I just bought a new one this year.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Whole lotta stuff in this simple question. For "most" trees, chloramine at levels considered acceptable for potable water for human use, is not a problem, similar with dissolved metals, chlorine, etc. Total dissolved solids, usually expressed as calcium carbonate, is another matter. Total dissolved solids over 1400 ppm is a problem if used continuously to water your trees. Salt tolerant trees, like JBP, certain junipers and tamarisk, won't have a problem, but azalea, hornbeam, beech & others will. Black leaf tips, dead new buds, strange chlorosis patterns will result.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cartridge filters work, but need regular replacing. Collecting rain water and RO water are the 2 best options. Of course it never rains when you need it. A 50 gallons per day RO unit would work for a 150+ tree collection, or for a 1200 orchid plant collection, where I did the math. If you're running low on RO you can mix 25% tap water back in.

RO is great if you dose a low level of fertilizer to make up for the total lack of minerals. Used straight, except for carnivorous plants, you can cause chlorosis quickly. It is expensive replacing RO membranes, but they should last one to five years, harder your water the quicker the membrane will fail.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hey Zelk, I remember when I would only see that crazy owl when I looked up old threads....nice to see you around more again!

No rain water right?

I don't know if it's feasible for you there...
But our boy @eferguson1974 grows with Aquaponics, and I know systems like that can help remove toxins.

Maybe you can set up a natural system to clean water, and eat from it.
Couple fish and it's fertilized....

Either way....yes it's better...
Dude was just talking about how using rain water helped incredibly.
But for me, a filter system would have to be close to free or pay for itself.

Or, screw it!

Welcome to Plumb Crazy!

Lead ain't that bad!

Sorce
Hello! Thanks! Wish I could post more often. Mechanical engineering senior year so I've been too share much but I constantly lurk.

I have had somewhat of an aquaponics system but I don't think it provided water that was clean enough. Results were inconsistent as time of the year and day will effect contaminant uptake by plants if it's happening at all. The biggest drawback I found was nitrate build up and algae. I wouldn't subject valued plants to this unpredictable water quality. The worst aspect was that it became a breeding ground for mosquitos even with Gambusia.

The rain water from my roof has a slightly yellow tint. I need to test it but I guess it's the tar they use on the tiles.

The water quality here is pretty bad. I think I see it effect some tree species sensitive to ph quite dramatically.

Last edited:

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Curious to know if anyone has ever tried this hose attachment? or something like it? I saw scotts set up in one of his recent posts.. that would be nice. i do go through a lot of rain water, im hoping something like this would do the job for 25 bucks.. feeling optimistic, but obviously have my doubts..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G2586NK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
This type of device got me thinking about its potential benefit under certain conditions where salts could accumulate a lot on old pots or growing substrate

Last edited:

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've read a lot of mixed reviews on this so I tried it for myself last year. At least visually there was less hard water deposits and the trees appeared to grow a bit better. It worked decent enough that I just bought a new one this year.
You should take the old one apart and see what it collected.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Cartridge filters work, but need regular replacing. Collecting rain water and RO water are the 2 best options. Of course it never rains when you need it. A 50 gallons per day RO unit would work for a 150+ tree collection, or for a 1200 orchid plant collection, where I did the math. If you're running low on RO you can mix 25% tap water back in.

RO is great if you dose a low level of fertilizer to make up for the total lack of minerals. Used straight, except for carnivorous plants, you can cause chlorosis quickly. It is expensive replacing RO membranes, but they should last one to five years, harder your water the quicker the membrane will fail.
Thanks for this great information!

I don't have the exact figures on my RO unit but I get good results of 34 ppm TDS. I mainly water trees with tap and fertilize with a mix of organic and chemical fertilizers. I think I get the best results by incorporating RO but I have not thought of remixing tap water into the line.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
At our old place we had to have an extensive filtration system as the water was horrible Here when we bought this place the water was far better but the chlorine and sediment was not acceptable so we had a simple whole house filter installed and it works wonderful. Keep in mind it is not a box store unit made for light industrial application but I only use two filters a year so the running cost is fairly cheap. It covers all of the house. For reference the filter cartridge is 20 inches long.

View attachment 131148

The plants here, potted, lawn, and landscape love it - compliments from the entire community as the place was somewhat a shambles but since restored.

Grimmy
Wonderful! What brand and model?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wonderful! What brand and model?

Keystone 23N. It accepts 20 inch cartridges. We use a combo sediment and charcoal filter as pictured. I change it every 6 months. Also, when I change it out I use a small amount of silicone grease on the O Ring making it far easier to uninstall/reinstall. Never use petroleum on rubber!
BTW, the chlorine level was so high you could smell it at the tap and it actually turned my Wife's skin pink in the shower. The charcoal portion has resolved the issue completely. Before I put in a new cartridge I run it without one after adding 4 cups of bleach to the empty canister for a few moments on all the faucets, hoses, and toilet to disinfect he pipes before I put in a new filter.
Also, the sediment in the water was visible in the tap water and is now trapped by the filter. The faucet heads have never needed cleaning since 2013 except for a light calcium rinse off after I change the filter.
We can now drink the water without smelling it, tasting it, and it is clear ;)
I did not install it or those valves as I was doing a full 1st story renovation then. On a "good" note the plumber will service it if it ever leaks or fails absolutely free.

Grimmy

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Thank you! I am looking into this now!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for this great information!

I don't have the exact figures on my RO unit but I get good results of 34 ppm TDS. I mainly water trees with tap and fertilize with a mix of organic and chemical fertilizers. I think I get the best results by incorporating RO but I have not thought of remixing tap water into the line.

34 ppm is enough remaining TDS that chlorosis won't happen right away if used on bonsai. Actually you should sit and do the math, start with your tap water TDS, and figure out how much you would add to your 34 TDS water from RO to make about a 100 to 150 tds solution. That would give good growth for most species, and yet get the most ''mileage'' out of your limited RO water.

Sensitivity to TDS in the water is species dependant. Like I said earlier, trees listed as salt tolerant can tolerate very hard water well. Also the species listed as living on limestone and alkaline soils should tolerate very hard water. (some junipers, especially the native junipers). Other species are more touchy. But it is case by case.

Top Bottom