Final report on the winter that was.

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
My most reliable report on the coldest temperature last winter came from a neighbor three houses down. He saw 16 below zero one night. There were probably nights it got colder. I winter my less hardy trees in an unheated shed that is partially below grade and well insulated with snow. I don’t know how cold it got in there.

In any case, I only had three casualties. I lost one of two coastal redwoods and he other had significant die back. I also lost a lot of ramification on a hackberry that suffered die-back of all the branch tips. I was worried it would be a lot worse.

The lesson is that you never know what is going to happen weather wise and native species are always going to be safest.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
True, but it was an extraordinary winter, at least by current standards. Your hackberry will be back to itself in no time, if it grows like mine anyway. I had tip dieback on mine as well this past winter...
Do you trim any new growth late in the season on yours? I've found much less dieback if I don't. Not that this was the problem of course this year, it was just cold.

minus 16 is cold by any book, and it was a deep sustained cold which I think is a large degree of difference.

Top Bottom