FINAL Rules & Guidelines for the First Annual Fall Box Store Challenge

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
First and foremost please remember this is a challenge not a battle! If there are any negative exchanges related to this challenge you will be disqualified. This is a fun challenge that many will hopefully learn and gain experience from.

Plant pot size will be limited to approximately 1 gallon for all levels (2 gallons is too big). Purchase must be made at a non-bonsai related nursery. Cost cannot exceed $30.00 (unless you live in a “high cost” area and disclose by way of asking on this thread prior to making the purchase). Purchase must be made from September 6 through September 17, 2014. The idea here is to keep the playing field level and see what you can do with inexpensive nursery stock so let your conscience be your guide. Proof of purchase will be required. However, if you have already purchased your material and there is a price tag on it for this challenge it will be okay. For any future challenges you must have a dated receipt. Any future challenges will be announced at least 30 days in advance. Again, please keep in mind this is supposed to be a fun and challenging learning experience for all to enjoy.

There will be three categories:

Beginner – less than two years experience (material will be Juniper)

Intermediate – two to five years experience (material will be Juniper)

Advanced – More than five years experience (any material)

1. Participants will post three entry photos to qualify. One photo of tree in the pot as you purchased it, one photo of the nursery where the purchase was made and one photo of the dated receipt. The photo of the tree should be “as purchased.” Once you have taken your entry photos you can begin working on your project.

2. Final Photos: Tree must be displayed in the pot it came in. You can remove some of the soil, cut around the rim or take it out of the pot to work on but finished photos must show the tree in its original pot. You can change the display angle anyway you like by placing it another pot or however you wish to do it. Photos must clearly show the tree in the original pot. Please include the variety and style you were going for in your post.

3. Top dressing the soil is optional (bonsai soil, rocks, etc).

4. Final photos must be submitted no later than September 20, 2014 and will include 1 photo of the front of your tree (how you want the viewer to see it) and one photo taken directly above. That’s two photos: please do not include any additional photos.

5. Beginners may post up to three questions about their tree and Intermediates may post one. Advanced level contestants cannot post any questions.

I’m new at this so please let me know if there is anything we should absolutely change. Also, there is still the issue of Judges. We need to come up with a fair and equitable process and find some Judges as well. I’ve PM’ed Bill Valavanis but have not heard back from him yet. Any thoughts?

Also, keep an eye out for the tree submission thread later in the week.

Let’s have some fun and thank you all for letting me be a part of this community!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Plant pot size will be limited to approximately 1 gallon for all levels (2 gallons is too big). y.

Please define "approximately 1 gallon". Two gallon is too big, but if the pot is labeled as 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7 gallons on the bottom, are any of those acceptable or is anything over 1.2ish not acceptable?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Please define "approximately 1 gallon". Two gallon is too big, but if the pot is labeled as 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7 gallons on the bottom, are any of those acceptable or is anything over 1.2ish not acceptable?

Great question. If it's less than 2 gallons then it's acceptable. Hope that helps.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Perhaps have a judge or judges from the professional/heavily experienced group that is involved here as well as a popular vote using the 'thanks' function. May be interesting to see a professionals opinion (aka proper judging based on experience) vs. what the masses may "like".

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
not sure where to post this. Also I have one other nusery to stop by tomorrow, so this might not make the cut. I just grabbed this guy a few min ago on lunch. There just happens to be a lowes in the strip behind the hotel I work at so I rode the ten speed over and did the crawl.

Its an old gold, not much used in bonsai so it'll fit in nicely with my EWP's and DAS

1 shot of the trunk line and 1 shot of the "back" 1-1 1/4" dia trunk, apprx 12" tall soil to apex.
5.98$

Attachments

• junigoldfront.jpg
    junigoldfront.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 37
  • junigoldback.jpg
    junigoldback.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
not sure where to post this. Also I have one other nusery to stop by tomorrow, so this might not make the cut. I just grabbed this guy a few min ago on lunch. There just happens to be a lowes in the strip behind the hotel I work at so I rode the ten speed over and did the crawl.

Its an old gold, not much used in bonsai so it'll fit in nicely with my EWP's and DAS

1 shot of the trunk line and 1 shot of the "back" 1-1 1/4" dia trunk, apprx 12" tall soil to apex.
5.98$

It definitely qualifies. I believe I read that old gold fell out of favor many years ago for some reason. However, they do make decent bonsai. There will be a post up in a couple days for you to enter your project so you still have time to find the right piece if your not happy with it. I paid $5.95 for mine. I want to create something presentable with mine. If I can do that then I'll be happy.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
Gettin ready to head home. . .

got tomorrow off and my wire assortment should be here manana as well. gunna be a good day.
Then again maybe I'll get lucky and the ride home will style it into a perfect windswept for me.

Attachments

• oldgoldtrans.jpg
    oldgoldtrans.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
BUMP IT UP.

Vin you might want to provide updated rules. And thanks for all of your effort.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
BUMP IT UP.

Vin you might want to provide updated rules. And thanks for all of your effort.

You're welcome. Other than the final photos did you see anything else that needs updated? Sometimes another pair of eyes helps.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It seems to me that a deadline for final pictures is in order... It shouldn't be too large of a window, as that could lead to an unfair disadvantage to early posters.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It seems to me that a deadline for final pictures is in order... It shouldn't be too large of a window, as that could lead to an unfair disadvantage to early posters.

The only change I planned on making was the number of photos. Initially I forgot to add the "before" photo in the rules. The change will read like this:

4. Final photos must be submitted no later than September 20, 2014 and will include one photo of the "before" taken from you entry submission, one photo of the front of your tree (how you want the viewer to see it) and one photo taken directly above (looking down on the tree). That’s three photos: please do not include any additional photos.

Does that sound good?

Reaction score
The only change I planned on making was the number of photos. Initially I forgot to add the "before" photo in the rules. The change will read like this:

4. Final photos must be submitted no later than September 20, 2014 and will include one photo of the "before" taken from you entry submission, one photo of the front of your tree (how you want the viewer to see it) and one photo taken directly above (looking down on the tree). That’s three photos: please do not include any additional photos.

Does that sound good?

What about description ? Perhaps a line or two of what was the logic behind the madness ?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What about description ? Perhaps a line or two of what was the logic behind the madness ?

I was going to put a statement about that in the final submission threads tonight because I wasn't planning on posting the rules again. It's probably a good idea to add it to the rules for next time though.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For all Box Store Challenge participants; the content of rule #3 [Top dressing the soil is optional (bonsai soil, rocks, etc.)] has officially been removed from the Rules & Guidelines.

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The entries are really looking fantastic! I won't give specifics, but it's really enjoyable to witness. I would like to participate next time, I could not find anything in my area which fit the rules.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I haven't had the opportunity to purchase a tree due to everyone in my house being sick. i know the cutoff for purchases was 9/17.

If I am able to secure material today and get it in before the cutoff time for submissions can I still enter or should I just save my money...I understand the rules and don't want to upset anybody. I consider myself a beginner but guess I would be in the intermediate category.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I haven't had the opportunity to purchase a tree due to everyone in my house being sick. i know the cutoff for purchases was 9/17.

If I am able to secure material today and get it in before the cutoff time for submissions can I still enter or should I just save my money...I understand the rules and don't want to upset anybody. I consider myself a beginner but guess I would be in the intermediate category.

Tough one. Part of me says go ahead no problem. But the other part says but what is the point of having rules if they aren't followed. Hmmm

My final conclusion is to vote that it is ok since this is really just for fun and having the most forum participants the better. I think if there was a real award, cash, or prize then unfortunately I'd say no. My vote is to include nybonsai. Vin?

Top Bottom