Finally Arakawa!

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Oh that is really ugly :rolleyes:
Lol sarcasm doesn’t work well in the interwebs, but I assume the eye roll was a clue? The overall impression of the tree was of the ugliest JM I’d possibly ever seen but it wasn’t clear how much was due to the shady area it was growing in. The bark doesn’t look bad in the pics. It’s unusual.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Since I’ve updated a few other threads recently may as well do this one also. I’m proceeding assuming this tree is Ibo Nishiki. it’s responding well to bonsai practices and cuttings root extremely easily, and bark up very quickly. The first branch is well developed but the others aren‘t much more than stubs w buds at this point in the game. But you can see where it’s going and this should be a good year C14B4EA4-DB0D-4FF0-98FF-A82E63C058D1.jpeg38A6268A-3FE9-4C6F-BB79-9595F327C4AB.jpeg35CE5782-8081-421C-8B62-D9101C43529F.jpeg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a pine bark japanese maple variety, nishiki-gawa. Might be a direction to look for ?

mj_barb

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Man, I literally just bought an Arakawa whip from them! Was all excited because I don’t see name cultivars often. By the number of them that they had, it has to be from that same mother tree.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Man, I literally just bought an Arakawa whip from them! Was all excited because I don’t see name cultivars often. By the number of them that they had, it has to be from that same mother tree.
Maybe, but I was wrong naming this thread as this isn’t what is typically known as Arakawa, although it is ‘rough bark’ in the generic sense. Read through the first part of the thread. If yours was cutting grown it could be same, but I know they also have a bunch of Arakawa seedlings.

Top Bottom