Finally back in the shop

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
It’s been an eventful summer and fall although not in a good way, but things seem to be settling down now and I’ve been able and motivated to begin to be productive again.

Here’s the sketch for a new little traditional table that should be quite solid and stable looking.
894BECE2-BC89-4979-9CE7-C7371C947B1D.jpeg

And the top.
D4F65307-9AE6-427D-95B8-BAEE7BF8F240.jpeg

The legs.
5301D886-DCE5-471B-9279-566675F21669.jpeg

The outboard stringers are blind pinned for perfect alignment and stay in place even without glue.
5D3747FC-2DDD-43CE-B3B8-865C249B4A4E.jpeg

Last edited:

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very cool, nice work.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah that’s cool!

You didn’t ask for critique, and this is sort of nitpicking, but it would feel lighter if there were a bit more space between the rail and the top. Or maybe the top could be a tiny bit thinner... or both! Sorry for the unasked for comments. It is a nice looking piece for sure.

I like the two colors of wood in combination.

Last edited:

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Lovely workmanship.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Very nice! What types of wood have you used?

Thanks! I’ve worked with walnut, cherry, and maple. The basic North American hardwoods. I have ready access to the various tropical “rosewoods” but have avoided them as I haven’t seen the need to add the expense and the walnut literally comes from my own back yard. I do have a couple boards of one tropical but haven’t used it as the variegated grain is very prominent and inappropriate in my opinion for this application.

Yeah that’s cool!

You didn’t ask for critique, and this is sort of nitpicking, but it would feel lighter if there were a bit more space between the rail and the top. Or maybe the top could be a tiny bit thinner... or both! Sorry for the unasked for comments. It is a nice looking piece for sure.

Thanks Judy, comments and critiques are always welcome and I think you are correct in your analysis. In fact, the top was intended for a different table altogether but I rejected it because it was too thick. Getting proportions right is a big challenge with making these look right. So I designed this table around that top with the intention of making it heavier looking, or more solid or stable to use other terms. I guess I succeeded :)

Top Bottom