Finally finished my quartz river rock pot!

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
So today I finally finished my quartz river rock pot and put my Hawaiian Umbrella in it to live:) I won't lie, this pot was a lot of work and challenged me for sure, but, I'm happy with the outcome! Here's a few pics...

As fate would have it I also received a nice new custom knife in the mail to add to the photo too:cool:

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So today I finally finished my quartz river rock pot and put my Hawaiian Umbrella in it to live:) I won't lie, this pot was a lot of work and challenged me for sure, but, I'm happy with the outcome! Here's a few pics...

As fate would have it I also received a nice new custom knife in the mail to add to the photo too:cool:

How did you cut the cavity?

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
How did you cut the cavity?

I used a grinder with a 4" diamond blade. Cut the shape, then waffle the center, then I took my air hammer with a chisel bit to break away the waffles. To drill the drainage holes I used diamond drill bits. This was a very hard rock to cut and it took around 10 hours of labor for everything. If you're going to give it a try be sure to wear at least an N95 half-face respirator with changeable filters as quartz is silica which is extremely hazardous to your health!

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
I like it but I think it could look even better if you roughen up the inner lip more. It will look more natural that way. Real good job though.

Actually I didn't do any polishing at all on this rock. The inner lip is raw and I only sealed it with an eco-friendly sealer.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I used a grinder with a 4" diamond blade. Cut the shape, then waffle the center, then I took my air hammer with a chisel bit to break away the waffles. To drill the drainage holes I used diamond drill bits. This was a very hard rock to cut and it took around 10 hours of labor for everything. If you're going to give it a try be sure to wear at least an N95 half-face respirator with changeable filters as quartz is silica which is extremely hazardous to your health!
A plus man, ten hours, wow!

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually I didn't do any polishing at all on this rock. The inner lip is raw and I only sealed it with an eco-friendly sealer.
Why seal it?

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's an attempt to retain moisture in the cavity. Right now out here we're in the 100-105 range with less that 20% humidity. Every drop of water counts at that point!
Agreed, 100 degrees is a battle.
Oh, super cool knife, looks well made.

Top Bottom